News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leopold II ribbon insigne question

Hello,

I came across this silver medal in the order of Leopold II and I'm wondering what the bird on the ribbon is, the seller stated it is an airforce emblem, meaning the receiver got it for good service in the airforce.

is this true?

thank you.

kind regards,

Roeland

5d1d1gk8.jpg

What is this bar for:

D?coration suivant A.R. du 19/05/65

Hello Laurence,

In fact there are two Royal Decrees governing this type of bar (19 Jan. 1962 and 19 May 1965). The reason for them is that in a few cases people having received a class of one of the Belgian chivalry orders for war service, also became entitled to one in the same order for long service in a civilian capacity. As only the highest class of the order can be worn, there was - prior to these decrees - no way to display both awards. The decrees dealt with that by creating a number of bars, depicting the lesser decoration, to be worn on the ribbon of the higher class awarded.

In your case : Leopold II Order Gold Medal (awarded for war service) and bar of the Leopold II Order's Silver Medal (as awarded for long service as a civilian).

Cheers,

Hendrik

was it a common occurance?

Hello Laurence,

Wish I knew ! On the one hand, one doesn't see them often but on the other hand why go through all the trouble of Royal Decrees if there's only a handful of people concerned ?

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks Hendrik.

This question is a little off topic but I see no point in starting a new thread.

From what I understand Belgium only issues the Award Document and the civilians go out and buy their medals. So....does this apply to the military also?

Edited by Laurence Strong