News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New/Old book for researching medalbars & ribbon bars

Dave made me aware of this book and I was able to pick it up. The title is Handbuch fur das Deutschereich aus das Rechnungsjagr 1918. The books lists who is in the different government departments and their awards. It covers not just Prussia but always Bayern, Wurtt., Saxony and all states and principalities! I have been paging through it looking for a specific combination of awards and here are some interesting observations:

1. Darn near ever member of the Bundesrat (is that the reichstag) had a 1914 EK2 NK

2. After 76 pages off a total of over 500 I have found only 1 person with the Sch-Lippe Cross for true Service 2 class and only about 4-5 with the Lippe-Detmold War Service NK

I will post some pic over the next few days. Will this book wind up on CD? An interesting question.

Dave made me aware of this book and I was able to pick it up. The title is Handbuch fur das Deutschereich aus das Rechnungsjagr 1918. The books lists who is in the different government departments and their awards. It covers not just Prussia but always Bayern, Wurtt., Saxony and all states and principalities! I have been paging through it looking for a specific combination of awards and here are some interesting observations:

1. Darn near ever member of the Bundesrat (is that the reichstag) had a 1914 EK2 NK

2. After 76 pages off a total of over 500 I have found only 1 person with the Sch-Lippe Cross for true Service 2 class and only about 4-5 with the Lippe-Detmold War Service NK

I will post some pic over the next few days. Will this book wind up on CD? An interesting question.

The Bundesrat was, as it is today, an appointed body. Members and their deputies (Vertreter) were appointed by the member states of the German Empire (and today by the member states of the Federal Republic). The imperial Bundesrat was far more powereful than the current one, as its consent was required for legislation from the Reichstag, the elected parliament.

Below is a section from one page from the Bundesrat. Among the general range of senior civil servants, a few names jump out:

• Heinrich Sche?ch: listed there as a Generalmajor Chief of the War Office in the War Ministry, he would become a Generalleutnant and War Minister in October 1918. He was previously commander of the 29. Infanterie-Brigade and 33. Infanterie-Division. He has the Pour le Merite and a slew of other decorations.
    • Emil Friedrich: a Generalmajor and Chief of the Unterkunfts-Department. He died in September 1918.
    • Erhard Deutelmoser: listed as a Director in the Foreign Ministry, he was also an Oberstleutnant a.D. who had been on active duty until 1917.
    • Ernst von Wrisberg: Commander of the 18. Reserve-Division. His Pour le Merite, received in April 1918, is listed. Sche?ch also received his PLM in April 1918, so that tells you that the Handbuch came out after that date.

Would someone like this be in it, the book covers the different regierungs?mter right?:

Major Georg Emil Theodor M?ldner von M?lnheim

15.5.1918 dem Kriegsministerium ?berwiesen, 17.5.1918 Milit?rkommission Kiew, 9.11.1918 Bevollm?chtigter des Kriegsministeriums f?r die Ukraine, Gesandter zu Kiew, 1.3.1919 demobilisiert, 24.7.1919 Versorgungsabteilung des Kriegsministerium, 9.4.1920 Abschied mit Pension und mit der Range als Oberstleutnant.

regards

David

Would someone like this be in it, the book covers the different regierungs?mter right?:

Major Georg Emil Theodor M?ldner von M?lnheim

15.5.1918 dem Kriegsministerium ?berwiesen, 17.5.1918 Milit?rkommission Kiew, 9.11.1918 Bevollm?chtigter des Kriegsministeriums f?r die Ukraine, Gesandter zu Kiew, 1.3.1919 demobilisiert, 24.7.1919 Versorgungsabteilung des Kriegsministerium, 9.4.1920 Abschied mit Pension und mit der Range als Oberstleutnant.

regards

David

The War Ministry was part of the Prussian government, not the German government, unlike the Naval Ministry. So it would be in the Prussian Court and State Handbook, not the German State Handbook. In both cases, in any event, the German and Prussian Handbooks omitted the military ministries during the war. The stated reason was that the information changed too rapidly as military personnel moved from assignment to assignment, but security probably also played a role.

The War Ministry was part of the Prussian government, not the German government, unlike the Naval Ministry. So it would be in the Prussian Court and State Handbook, not the German State Handbook. In both cases, in any event, the German and Prussian Handbooks omitted the military ministries during the war. The stated reason was that the information changed too rapidly as military personnel moved from assignment to assignment, but security probably also played a role.

Thanks for checking and explaining. As far as Georg is concerned, of whom I hav no picture at all, I will have to rely on the single rolls of Rick and Daniel as they are being published.

David