News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

East German unknown medal

Here is another DDR medal I bought, once more, can anyone tell me anything about it please? Was 14 euros a good/ok/bad price for it? Sorry about the photo, it's the only one offered. Again, when I receive it, I'll take a better one.

VDGB Medalie Bronce Selten

Thomas M?ntzer

im Gr?nen Etui

Hallo Troy, :cheers:

not a military item it seems from a net search, that, M?ntzer was a radical reformer and a leader of the Peasants' War. In his Sermon to The Princes at the Alstedt castle he called for the princes of Saxony to employ him as their counselor in spiritual matters and to take action against the lords. They ignored him, but he continued to call for a revolution by the poor. He was captured during a peasant uprising near Frankenhausen and was beheaded outside the walls of M?lhausen on May 27, 1525.

Vereinigung der Gegenseitigen Bauernhilfe, VdgB

Association for Mutual Farmers Assistance 1949-1990 (East Germany)

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/de%7Dvdgb.html

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Hi Paul, I took a chance on this guy, I have no idea about Soviet/DDR awards, but some of them were very cheap, or seemed so to me. This was the most expensive one, most of the others were 3-5 euros. I figured if they were duds, at least I wouldn't be out of pocket too much. The group of four that I posted earlier was 4 euros, so I thought, what the hey!

• 1 year later...

Muentzer was portrayed in the DDR as the leader of a medieval peasant revolt and so, he was used by the VdGB, as a kind of patron. The VdGB was basically the farmer's party in the DDR and this is their honour medal. Cheers, Torsten.

Thanks Torsten!!!! :cheers: