News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

my first research ORS 272509

Guest Rick Research

You have posted these as "PNG" format scans. :speechless1: I have NO clue what the heck a "PNG" is!!!!! :speechless1:

Must be like a bitmap-- using up 10 times the kilobyte volume for one-tenth the actual size.

Got to change your settings to jpg.

There really is no "second best" to an Epson scanner.

Guest Rick Research

OK, not good, but better. Try for Line 12 and 13 as large as that whole page please.

Arkady Fedoseevich GUSEV was born in 1918 in the village of Velenovo (or maybe Volenovo), Slavpovsky raion, Pskovskaya Oblast.

Incomplete higher education (high school-ish)

Russian, in the Red Army from 1938 until 13 February 1944

Lieutenant (2 stars), Commander of the Mortar Battery of 45th Mechanized Brigade, 5th Mechanized Corps.

Lines 12 and 13 get blurry which is where the nitty gritty of his civilian/political job status gets lost--

he was back home in Velenovo/Volenovo, Slavpovsky raion, Pskovskaya Oblast at the establishment/institution ILLEGIBLE Mobilization for Political Deputies ILLEGIBLE. (So he was serving the Party establishment of something as something)

That's the end of the ARC side one.

The citation is hopeless as scanned. All I can see is that the recommendation =

there he is referred to as Senior Lieutenant (3 stars ! ?),

in Red Army since 13.9.38 (normal draft calss of 1938 presumably),

repeats that he is in same unit as on ARC,

& was signed off on by the commander of 1st Motor Rifles Battalion, a Captain.

WHAT are you USING? WHAT SETTINGS are you using? These are half the size and half the focus that should be possible normally.

Rick:

Thank you for your help in translation.

To answer your questions :

Hp office jet 5510 all in one.

Settings are set on enhanced.

My maximum upload size is 65k for this forum.

The copy of the documents as sent have many areas where the print is light.

I will read up on the setting aspects of the scanner to see what might be done.

Paul R.

Thank you for the welcome.

Doc:

Great job! Thank you for the help. There is so much history about the recipient to be learned from these documents I'm glad that it

now at a size that can be viewed by the forum members. I enjoy seeing the posts of research documents by other members of this

forum. I felt that when I was able to obtain my own copy that I should return the favor.

Regards

Rick

Doc:

Great job! Thank you for the help. There is so much history about the recipient to be learned from these documents I'm glad that it

now at a size that can be viewed by the forum members. I enjoy seeing the posts of research documents by other members of this

forum. I felt that when I was able to obtain my own copy that I should return the favor.

Regards

Rick

Rick,

My pleasure. That's what forums like this one are all about...Helping each other with our common interests.

:beer: Doc

Guest Rick Research

The Doc has cured it! It is STILL among the ICKIEST I have ever seen, alas, for quality of penmanship and copying. (Just think what these records will be like in another 70 years and be glad we have any images from them NOW :speechless1: )

His home village is correctly: Volokhovo, in Slavkovsky Raion.

He was employed there at the Establishment/Institution UNIT for Mobilization of Political Deputies of LABOR (spelled wrong, as if "LBOR").

He was on the (Tschi?)lovsky village ("selo") Soviet in the village ("derevniya") of Volokhovo.

Upper part of citation indeed refers to him as SENIOR Lieutenant "3 Post" (this may be a way of expressing "of the reserve" maybe and I am reading a "3" for the Cyrillic letter "Z"), commanding unit same as on ARC.

On the Southwest front from 9.12.42 to 4.2.43 and on the Western Front from 28.5.43.

Severe wound while on the Volga and current and .... (combat sectors not body parts, and from the "ands" in there makes it sound as if THREE such unspecified wounds :speechless1:) and light wound on the Southwest Front.

In Red Army since 13.9.38, called up from Slavkovsky Raion MilComm in Leningradsky Oblast.

Has previously received Military Merit Medal, Order of the Red Star, and Medal for Defense of (illegible-- all these will be on the BACK of the ARC)

Next of kin is back in his home village, father Fedosei S...ovich Gusev.

Citation begins

"Has belonged to the battery since the day of its formation. Participant in the Great Patriotic War. Showed excellent skill in the mortar unit of the battalion. At the time of..."

and now it degenerates rapidly. Continues in this sort of general "good guy who knows his job" vein and then is about undated action at the villages of Ignat'evka and Vladimerovko in Smolenskaya Oblast, supporting infantry against the enemy, receiving a contusion without leaving command during the action....

Daylight and an untired eye with some work may get more out of that. More if possible tomorrow.

As always, translation assistance is much encouraged and appreciated. I am neither fluent enough nor have enough TIME with my own endless offline tasks to devote prolonged attention to so MANY sets of Soviet research which have all come in at the same time.

And me with no results back after 1+ years in one case and since January in 4 others, myself! Everybody got theirs BUT me??????????????????????????????