News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII JAPANESE ARMY WOUND MEDAL PAPER

Laurence Strong

I might have paid a little much, but in view of it's rarity I figure it is worth it. It?s tiny 2 x 4 inches approx

Part of the dealer?s description:

"...This soldier was wounded in the line of duty while serving in Manchuria. Please see the pics. This was given to Army Private First Class Kojiya Shuzo-san. Dated on May 5, 1941. The red stamp is from the ministry of war of Japan. This certificate says he got injured in Manchuria in 1938...."

Edited by Laurence Strong

Found out that this is an ID card authorising the wear of the badge:

many thanks to Nick Komiya :cheers:

"This is a handicapped ID to be kept on your person when wearing the wounded badge. The correct issue date is May 3rd 1941 and the owner was born Jan. 8th 1915. His handicap was not caused by injury but some kind of disease he contracted in December 1938 while serving in Manchuria. The issuing authority is the Ministry of the Army, not War. In case of loss of the badge or the card you were required to report the loss to the local police or Kempei (MP). Changes of address required reporting to the officials within 7 days, and in the event of loss of nationality or death the owner or the next of kin was to return the card and the badge to the authorities through the mayor of the district. This card specifies that his handicap meets the stipulations in the Pension Administration Law Article 24, Clause 2, point 2"

• 5 months later...

Larry's document is to a Senior Private, not a PFC. Nick Komiya's translation is correct (Nick's Japanese is a lot better than mine, his surname shoulg suggest he has a certain advantage).

FJCP's small document is to a Leading Seaman for sickness is Southern China. The lage document to Murakami does not say anything about where he fell ill, it gives the sections of the legal code under which the badge was awarded. It is a standard document, akin to a medal certificate, where the name details and the dates were all that was changed.

The small document was carried around and they tend to turn up seldom, and are normally worn. The large document was the award certificate for the badge. Hence, each recipient would end up with both documents and the badge. I have never been able to get the two documents to the same recipient, maybe one of these days.

:cheers:

Paul