News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A-H Signum Laudis & Bravery Medals

Humberto Corado

Guest Rick Research

Figure almost every single officer (9,990 out of 10,0000 :rolleyes: ) got a "bronze" (gold colored) Signum Laudis and that comes out about right. Silvers were much less plentiful only because I think many officers jumped over these to some other award like one of the Orders or the Military Merit Cross.

Back in 1966 Dr. Klietmann cited

Gold Bravery Medals = about 3,700

Large Silver Bravery Medals = about 143,000

Small Silver Bravery Medals = about 384,000

Bronze Bravery Medals = about 950,000

These were still being slowwwwwwwwwwwly processed for awards in the 1st Austrian Republic during the 1930s.

I have never seen figures for the "K" Large Silver and Gold just to officers, so I do not know if those are included in the totals above.

Unlike most countries, Austrian awards carried real BENEFITS. Recipients of the above medals received a monthly payment of 30 K, 15 K, and 7.50 K, carried over into Schillings under the 1st Republic and as far as I know continued right through the Third Reich and under the 2nd Republic until the last recipient had died. No monthly payments to bronze winners, but anyone who received the 1917 Karl Troop Cross was immediately allowed the right to vote at age 20 rather than the then-legal age of 24.

Figure almost every single officer (9,990 out of 10,0000 :rolleyes: ) got a "bronze" (gold colored) Signum Laudis and that comes out about right. Silvers were much less plentiful only because I think many officers jumped over these to some other award like one of the Orders or the Military Merit Cross.

These were still being slowwwwwwwwwwwly processed for awards in the 1st Austrian Republic during the 1930s.

I have never seen figures for the "K" Large Silver and Gold just to officers, so I do not know if those are included in the totals above.

Unlike most countries, Austrian awards carried real BENEFITS. Recipients of the above medals received a monthly payment of 30 K, 15 K, and 7.50 K, carried over into Schillings under the 1st Republic and as far as I know continued right through the Third Reich and under the 2nd Republic until the last recipient had died. No monthly payments to bronze winners, but anyone who received the 1917 Karl Troop Cross was immediately allowed the right to vote at age 20 rather than the then-legal age of 24.

Many thanks Rick!!! interesting to know that the silver medals are not as common as its current market prices could suggest. although I suppose that they were manufactured in larger numbers than the ones that were awarded like is happen with other medals

I have never seen any document for the Bravery Medals ( awarded before, during or after WWI) so I assume that during WWI this medals were awarded by the authority of the Emperor.

do you know if during the 1st Austrian Republic they were awarded by the authority of President, Chancellor , etc???

hunyadi,

very interesting to know the numbers of Bravery Medals awarded to Hungarians, thank you! I assume that in the numbers that Rick post the Hungarian WWI awards are included????

Thanks again!

Edited by Humberto Corado

Guest Rick Research

Unit commanders could award the Bronze Bravery Medal. Others went up to Division, Corps, or Army level. I have seen award CARDS-- little, wallet-sized cards-- for the Bravery Medals. Officers got large award Urkunden for the Signum Laudis medals. If you do a search on "Signum Laudis" you will finsd some examples.

Glenn can answers for the post-war awards. From the Ministry of Defense, I think.

Every single award had its "Belohnungsantrag" recommendation form giving a full citation text for why the award should be made, approved (and increased or decreased as to WHICH award) up the chain of command. For Austrian citizens after 1918, those are still kept in Vienna.

hunyadi,

very interesting to know the numbers of Bravery Medals awarded to Hungarians, thank you! I assume that in the numbers that Rick post the Hungarian WWI awards are included????

I would assume so - the book that published this table was from the 1920's on Hungarian 'Knights' so it was of a political nature to mention the Hungarians. As Rick pointed out these were still being awarded well after the war, so the data was not fully complete by the 1920's. But it still gives some interestign information.

Hello,

it is not a statistic, and obviously incomplete, but this book can be of invaluable help:

"Ehrenbuch der Oesterreichisch Ungarischen Wehrmacht - die Ausgezeichneten im Weltkrieg"; Vienna, k.u.k. Kriegsarchiv / Verlag Vaterl?ndisches Archiv, 1917

In this book, besides the statutes of all the awarded orders and decorations (and fine colour plates) there is an alphabetical list of officers with details of their awards.

A good thing is that the "Ehrenbuch" is not rare and it usually appears at collectors shows and/or auctions.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Hello,

it is not a statistic, and obviously incomplete, but this book can be of invaluable help:

"Ehrenbuch der Oesterreichisch Ungarischen Wehrmacht - die Ausgezeichneten im Weltkrieg"; Vienna, k.u.k. Kriegsarchiv / Verlag Vaterl?ndisches Archiv, 1917

In this book, besides the statutes of all the awarded orders and decorations (and fine colour plates) there is an alphabetical list of officers with details of their awards.

A good thing is that the "Ehrenbuch" is not rare and it usually appears at collectors shows and/or auctions.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Thanks for the info Enzo!

do you have an idea of how much would cost me one now?

• 6 months later...

Hi Rick :rolleyes:

Sorry for pester you with a lot of questions...The Signum laudis is a lesser bravery award than the bravery medals???

Thanks

Miguel

• 7 months later...

On the topic of numbers issued is there a known number of recipients who recieved bars to there bravery medals? Multiple bars? Do bravery awards with bars (primarily the small silver and bronze) come up for sale often? Can anyone show examples with second/third award bars?

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...