News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

50 States Silver Quarters

Hi Guys,

Came across these little beauties, whilst surfing the net, thought they minght be of interest?

SILVER PROOF State Quarter

Designer: William Cousins (added to John Flanagan)

Composition: .900 Silver, .100 Copper

Diameter: 24.3 mm

Mint Marks Used: "S"-San Francisco

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_State_Quarters

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/store...catLink=prod50Q

Guest Rick Research

I wasn't aware that they were made in anything other than recycled tuna fish can metal.

There is something seriously crazy about making coins with a face value that bears no rational relation to their higher cost.

A quarter is... a quarter.

Most of these so far have been absolutely horrible. The stampings are flat and dull. The designs are insipid, too small to see, or silly, with items thyrown in like the one shown with a Giant Cheese in no proportion to the other elements of the designs.

Now, the Walking Liberty quarters, THERE was ART.

Well, we have one more year for the series to complete. The wife and I both collected these just to have the series set; I only wanted the quarters, she took the silver coin sets for each year, so hopefully the silver ones will be more valuable down the road.

I agree, the designs on most of these are pretty weak. I like the old coins that seem to have had better designers. The walking liberty was very beautiful and I was happy to see the American eagle dollar pick up at least the front of the design. I think the old majesty in design is gone for a more art-deco look these days--what a shame IMO.

Tim

Paul,

They are an old .50 piece that ran from 1917-1947 (dates are close I think). Anyway, they have Lady Liberty in a flowing dress walking on the front and a large eagle standing on the ground on the reverse. Solid silver coin which is pretty impressive whether it's in mint condition or full of patina and dirt! At least I think they are. ;)

Tim

I don't have any photographed, but here's a link to the US Mint and the American Eagle has the same front.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/store...catalogId=10001

Starting in 1999 with the release of five new quarters with a state design on the reverse, the U.S. Mint has taken on the longest commemorative program in its history.

The initial plan was to issue five quarters per year, in the order of each state's joining the Union. Delaware was first. Collectors immediately started scouring new bank-wrapped rolls for the new issues.

Making the collection complete, however, takes more than just searching through bank-wrapped rolls and loose change.

For each year, five new designs are issued ? five with a "D" mint mark (from the Denver mint) and the same five designs with a "P" mint mark (from the Philadelphia mint). In addition, two matching designs are issued each year from the San Francisco mint with an "S" mint mark. One of these is a "proof" issue in the regular, copper-nickel clad composition; and a special proof issue in silver.

These "S" mint coins are available only by subscription from the U.S. Mint, so they would most likely never be found in circulation. Also, the number of "S" mint coins is far smaller than the regular "P" and "D" mint issues. Thus, for a complete collection (due by 2010), there would be 220 coins.

After the program began, it was announced that in addition to the 50 states, five more territories would be added: District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa.

So far, the annual mintage figures for each issue run about 250 million to 400 million coins, and for the proof issues, 1 million in clad and about 800,000 for the silver proofs. The proof coins are sold in sets of five.

How valuable the complete set would be is uncertain; it depends heavily on the collector demand for complete sets and on the ability to find choice uncirculated and proof coins for each date and mint mark.

Thus far, all P- and D-mint mark coins can be found in circulation, and even in mint condition are worth barely more than face value. By 2010, conditions may change; we'll just have to wait an see. For children, a complete set of 55 types would be an inexpensive challenge ? and educational, as well.

http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signa...43005-coins.htm

Edited by mariner

Must admit, I prefer the idea of the silver ones personally (even given the fact that there only .900, why they didn`t got the whole hog and make them .999 like the eagle, I have no idea- given that they weren`t ment for general circulation?).

The question I have is how you tell the difference between the proof & the silver given that they both have the `S` mint mark? Does anyone know? Have seen alledged silver ones on ebay, but they look exactly the same as the none silver ones to me? :banger:

Also why didn`t they make silver ones with other mint marks to increase the collecting protential for collectors, a sure money spinner missed there I think?

Edited by mariner

In addition to my last, have you seen these?

.999 silver 1 oz, just a shame about the reverse. Would have been nicer if they`d been an exact copy, maybe in 1 dollar format?

As silver bullion, I suppose there okey, like collecting 1 oz bars, I would imagine. But as a coin, I think there a bit naff.....sorry.

The question I have is how you tell the difference between the proof & the silver given that they both have the `S` mint mark? Does anyone know? Have seen alledged silver ones on ebay, but they look exactly the same as the none silver ones to me? :banger:

I`m told.....

"The reeded edges around the quarter you can see is all the same color of silver matching the reverse and obverse of the quarter. On the clad you can see the alloy, ( it may be copper ) in the reeded edges of the quarter. This is the simplest way to tell, but there are others."

I`ll attempt to find out what the other ways are & get back to you.

In the mean time, here are a few more links...

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_p...ction=factsheet

http://www.coinfacts.com/quarter_dollars/5...es_quarters.htm

Those are horrible... I dont like the obverse.

Paul if you mean the 1 oz type, yes I totally agree naff with a capital N!!!! There more along the lines of bullion as apposed to a coin. If they`d made them just like a quarter except bigger, they`d be a cracking thing to collect!!

I can only assume that there made by someone like the Franklin mint as apposed to the US mint? :unsure:

I`m told.....

"The reeded edges around the quarter you can see is all the same color of silver matching the reverse and obverse of the quarter. On the clad you can see the alloy, ( it may be copper ) in the reeded edges of the quarter. This is the simplest way to tell, but there are others."

I`ll attempt to find out what the other ways are & get back to you.

In the mean time, here are a few more links...

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_p...ction=factsheet

http://www.coinfacts.com/quarter_dollars/5...es_quarters.htm

I put my money were my mouth is (pardon the pun), and checked up on this advice, and am pleased to say, that it panned out, its obvious the difference between a clad and a solid silver coin... :jumping:

Phew, didn`t want to be giving out duff gen did I!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The mystery surrounding the extra leaf quarters is about to be revealed! Chris Pilliod, a Metallurgist by trade and well known and respected variety expert, has submitted an article for publication in The Numismatist that proves, without a doubt, that the Wisconsin Extra leaf Quarters were hand made, on purpose by someone at the Denver Mint.

Wisconsin Quarter Errors: Check Your Change For Big Bucks!

You have no doubt heard about the 2004-D Wisconsin state quarter errors. These modern coin errors have been known for some time in the numismatic community, but became red hot once the major media grabbed the story. Sale prices on the errors have sold as high as $800+ in recent days. Speculation regarding the long-term value of these coins is currently anyone's guess, as is their origin.

The Wisconsin error coins have so far been discovered in the Tucson, Arizona and San Antonio, Texas area. The three varieties of the coins are easy to differentiate as the variations are easily seen by the naked eye. The example on the left is the standard Wisconsin quarter that is readily found. The example in the middle features a distinct mark that appears to be an extra leaf and this variety is being called "Extra Leaf Low." The example on the right also featured a mark that curves upward and is being called "Extra Leaf High." The next time you get change when purchasing something be sure to check it as you just might find a treasure

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

If you look at the production runs on all of the state quarters. Collect them for pleasure but forget about the ones you find in circulation doubling in value anytime soon unless they have some-sort of mint-produced defect. SPEND THEM otherwise.

The Indiana quarter was a joke. A race-car? You'd think they would have had something about "Indians" on the "Indiana" state quarter...

There is a difference between the designs for the "walking" liberty quarter and half-dollar. Walking liberty quarters are more commonly referred to as "standing liberty" quarters.

If you look at the production runs on all of the state quarters. Collect them for pleasure but forget about the ones you find in circulation doubling in value anytime soon unless they have some-sort of mint-produced defect. SPEND THEM otherwise.

The Indiana quarter was a joke. A race-car? You'd think they would have had something about "Indians" on the "Indiana" state quarter...

There is a difference between the designs for the "walking" liberty quarter and half-dollar. Walking liberty quarters are more commonly referred to as "standing liberty" quarters.

Yeh, I agree some of the designs are a bit lame, lucky these are in a minority, and good designs certainly make up for the others short fallings, in my opinion.

• 6 years later...