News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who are this gentlemen

Eduardo

I have been ofered this postcard for my WWI postcard collection as Austrian. The card is colorfull and seems that the three persons portraited in it must be important. Could somebody tell me who they are? The flags are nor German nor Austrian. The ones in the right are Turkish.

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo

Guest Rick Research

What an ODD trio!

The one in the middle is either somebody like Field Marshal Conrad von Holtzendorff or one of the spare Arch Dukes, but not young Karl.

Rick, H?tzendorf and most of the "spare Arch Dukes" seem too old.

Karl was the supreme commander for the last two years of the war, seems fitting to be in the middle.

You right though, Karl looks a bit different in the Postcard.

another picture:

Edited by Naxos

Could someone please translate the inscription under the photographs? There is also another smaller inscription that could be the artist signature. Also would like to know if there is a special reason for the flags, specially the Turkish flag. Since the three seem Austrian or German why would there be a reference to Turkey. Is the other flag Hungarian? I am not too clear with the colors.

Eduardo

Thank you Glenn for completing the trio. Thanks Mike and Naxos for your help with the other two. You are all a great group. As soon as I get the card I will post the back of it to see if there is something more to it. Still will like to know why the 3 together and the flags.

Eduardo

Eduardo,

Since two out of three are Navy personalities, I think the flags are for the great navy battles at Skagerrak (Battle of Jutland) and at the Dardanellen (Dardanelles). As well as indicating the two major allies of Austria

Hardy

Yes Hardy, your deductions are sound logical. Wonder if the cross with the 1914 on it says something else. I can read the artist name Georg ....., but still don't get the translation of the motto in the card. Will ask a German friend. I find the card very colorfull and pretty.

Thank you.

Eduardo

Im Lorbeer des Weltkrieges translation = In the laurel leafs of the World War

Lorbeer or laurel leafs is the symbol of the victor - it is indicating that the Admirals featured were victorious in their battles.

Hardy

Edited by Naxos