News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I believe somebody asked about a double award for the same medal on a combatant and Non-combatant ribbon. no explanation was found. Now it is on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Document-Group-Franco-...1QQcmdZViewItem

The same person gets in 1871 the Steel Commemorative Medal on the combatent ribbon, then in 1872 the same medal on the non-combatant ribbon !!!

Urkunde f?r den Seconde-Lieutenant Paul Hennige zur Kriegsdenkm?nze von STAHL am COMBATTANTEN-Bande, vom 1.November 1871

Urkunde f?r den Rittergutsbesitzer Paul Hennige zur Kriegsdenkm?nze von STAHL am NICHT-COMBATTANTEN-Bande, vom 18.August 1872

Guest Rick Research

This appears to be a case of where two sets of applications (one military and one civilian) for the medal were submitted by mistake and because each issuing authority did not know about the other application, two were issued by mistake.

Very interesting! :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

For the two above, the stay at home military was issued 1st November 1871, but the war aid civilian one was issued 18 August 1872. I'd guess two separate rosters that got processed without one knowing about the other.

I have seen the same set awarded to a German Doctor (who also served in the Union army in the US civil war).

That is amazing!! Do you still have photos of this? How was it verified that he was in the Union Army. Was he serving our Civil War as a German Advisor or as an American?

That is amazing!! Do you still have photos of this? How was it verified that he was in the Union Army. Was he serving our Civil War as a German Advisor or as an American?

It's in an old JOMSA. His family got a civil war campaign medal, but he was signed up as a Doctor with the Army of the Potomac. Many foreigners were in those days.