News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

57 Otto Schickle RK (At Last !)

Hello

At long last I have finally managed to obtain an Otto Schickle 57 RK.

Magnetic cored and marked '835', it has come with what I believe are a later production set of Oaks with Swords, (these are marked '925' on one of the sword hilts, but carry no other marks - I think these are S&L made), which are heavily tarnised and quite worn, a piece of what may possibly be wartime Loy ribbon, (the ribbon and ties do not glow under UV light), and an early 57 case. The case possibly warrants a closer examination, although the interior linings are not, in my opinion, wartime the actual outer shell may be left over wartime one. The metal parts of the case are magnetic.

As usual, any comments or observations welcomed.

David

Congratulations on a really nice RK. I think the wait was worth it! :cheers:

I would agree with you regarding the ribbon being most likely wartime stock. Also very nice! Not sure about the oaks/swords... they seem to be lacking any sort of detail on the obverse which looks really odd.

Rich

Hello

Many thanks Richard for the kind comments.

The Oaks with Swords are a bit of a puzzler, in that they look to me like they are from the S&L stable and being marked '925' should be the late production pieces. That being the case the reverse should be plain. The patina on them though is very heavy and there is quite a lot of wear to them, more so than I would expect for a late made set. Perhaps others will have a better idea (Gordon ?).

That all said, to be honest, it was the cross I was buying, not the oaks and swords - they just happened to be with it. :cheers:

I agree with Rich. Beautiful Cross, and now very hard to obtain ( I remember buying several of these Schickles - both 835 silber and neusilber framed on German EBay about 10 years ago and the cost then was around ?50 each !!!)

The Oaks/Swords I don't like but as you rightly say, the Cross is a great enough find on its own, not to have to worry about the Oaks/Swords.

Hello

Thanks for the comments Gordon. The oaks and swords are somewhat strange, but it was the cross I was buying. If I can ever find one, I think I'll replace the oaks and swords with the correct ribbon loop for this RK.

• 3 years later...

Very nice. The frame is clearly struck on the same dies as Schickle's wartime crosses. However, it is interesting that the core is the same as the one encountered in early 1957 Ritterkreuze by Steinhauer & Lück, known by some collectors as the Type B, which is odd as the later 1957 S&L RK had different cores altogether.