News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tito's medals and orders

Thanks Dragomir. I was in this museum (the mausoleum branch) the day before yesterday, and saw no orders or medals aside from a Tito uniform with miniatures (pics to follow). This morning I went to the branch on Trg Nikole Pasica... but was turned back because the museum was closed (as in, closed down for renovations). Have you actually seen his medals?

Hello Bob,

Orders and Medals are in the Museum, but they are not exhibited for the public inspection. In fact, the actual treasure is not within compound of the Museum, and the responsible persons have to request for permission always they need an item for official purposes, but the collection does belong to the Museum and is properly inventoried, documentad and listed. Last time the entire collection was on display in Belgrade is 1980-1981. That was second display ever, the first one being in 1967. At the time of preparation for the 2nd display, I had opportunity to inspect directly all the items and the accompanying documentation. Third display was in Zagreb in 1986. After that, the items were tucked away, but they are still there, except for the GC of the Bath, military group, which was promptly returned to UK. The exhibition room at the Square of Nikola Pasic belongs presently to another Museum (Serbian History Museum). They also have some valuable items in their collection, but the Museum, in fact, has no permanent exhibition space and therefore it's collections are only occasionally displayed at other places.

Yours,

Dragomir

Hello Bob,

Orders and Medals are in the Museum, but they are not exhibited for the public inspection. In fact, the actual treasure is not within compound of the Museum, and the responsible persons have to request for permission always they need an item for official purposes, but the collection does belong to the Museum and is properly inventoried, documentad and listed. Last time the entire collection was on display in Belgrade is 1980-1981. That was second display ever, the first one being in 1967. At the time of preparation for the 2nd display, I had opportunity to inspect directly all the items and the accompanying documentation. Third display was in Zagreb in 1986. After that, the items were tucked away, but they are still there, except for the GC of the Bath, military group, which was promptly returned to UK. The exhibition room at the Square of Nikola Pasic belongs presently to another Museum (Serbian History Museum). They also have some valuable items in their collection, but the Museum, in fact, has no permanent exhibition space and therefore it's collections are only occasionally displayed at other places.

Yours,

Dragomir

Sorry Gentlemen, I just noticed I missed to add that Denmark's Elephant is also not here. It was returned as per Statutory request.

Dragomir

Thanks for this info Dragomir. I understand somebody in the Serbian government has been assigned to implement new orders/medals for the country. This person in a past life was an actor and during a movie was depicting Tito and was wearing his genuine awards and was continuously surrounded by 5 body guards during filming. I guess not displaying the awards may have to do with a lack of well secured display capabilities (at least, judging from the military museum that seems plausible). Or are there also local sensitivities?

Back on Tito's awards. At the mausoleum complex I visited a few days ago the closest thing to his awards were 2 uniforms with miniatures.

Nice pictures Bob.

Thank you for sharing. :cheers:

Do you have more ?

Have pics of the mausoleum of course but there's not much to see there really. Also, besides the miniatures shown, no other militaria in the mausoleum. I can post some more pics later today anyway.

I have found also a picture of the wooden model which was used in the process of manufacturing the original gold sign .

Look at the richness in detail of this work speechless.gifspeechless.gifspeechless.gif

cheers

Milan

That's amazing, what a wonderful design, thanks for showing us :-)