News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Award citation....

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how I can go about find details of recent awards to US soldiers for Iraq?

AAM - 262

ARCOM - 421 (2 W/VALOR)

MSM - 80

BSM - 31 (4 W/VALOR, 3 POSTHUMOUS)

PH - 24

CIB - 269

CAB - 77

CMB - 10

1- Meritorious Unit Citation

GWOT Campaign Streamer for Each unit A, B, C, HHC

All these medals were awarded to soliders of the 2/127th National Guard, Iraq 2005-2006. I`d like to find out more about who the soldiers were & what these awards where given for?

Can anyone help me out?

These are all abbreviations for current army awards-ARCOM for example stands for Army Commendation medal. With valor shows the ribbon/medal devices denoting awards for specific acts and not "general merit". Almost everyone gets an ARCOM for going to Iraq.

AAM= Army achievement medal

PH=Purple heart

BSM= Bronze star

MSM=Meritorious Service Medal (which I thought they didn't give out much anymore except to NCOs when they retired).

CIB= Combat Infantry Badge etc. etc. A most interesting break down of awards to a unit for a tour of duty.

CAB= the combat action badge (new)-now awarded to support persons engaged in combat (before this was instituted only rieflemen etc. got the CIB, if you were a clerk shooting your rifle and participating in a bayonet charge during an ambush-you got zip, whereas the rifleman next to you would get the CIB.

CMB= The Combat medics badge-note how few were awarded.

see here for the unit. I note they are looking for good NCOs.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/age...my/32in-bde.htm

If you email the Battalion Lt. Colonel, he/she may send you some of the citations.

Edited by Ulsterman

Cheers Ulsterman, I was particularly interested in the CAB. Seems only far that the clerks & chefs should have something they are reguarly overlooked aren`t.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, mind. What would a medic involved in the contact get if he didn`t treat any casualties, just fought with the other, and visa vesa want would an infantry man get if he didn`t fight, but treated the wounded?? :rolleyes:

To my understanding the Combat Medic Badge is awarded only when treating wounded while under fire. IE - while the bullets are flying. The person also has to be a medic - not an infantryman who has been trained as a medic (guy on the spot who can render first aid when his buddy goes down). As far as I know medics are still considered non-combattants (?) but as the nature fo warfare has changed, so has the designation of 'medic'. It makes more sense to have a guy fully armed who can render aid while firing back. I only say this as my brother in law who is on his third tour in Iraq has gone to Air Assualt School, Sniper School and Medic School. But he only has the CIB (among numerious other awards)

To my understanding the Combat Medic Badge is awarded only when treating wounded while under fire. IE - while the bullets are flying. The person also has to be a medic - not an infantryman who has been trained as a medic (guy on the spot who can render first aid when his buddy goes down). As far as I know medics are still considered non-combattants (?) but as the nature fo warfare has changed, so has the designation of 'medic'. It makes more sense to have a guy fully armed who can render aid while firing back. I only say this as my brother in law who is on his third tour in Iraq has gone to Air Assualt School, Sniper School and Medic School. But he only has the CIB (among numerious other awards)

Cheers H, thats very interesting, and has answer my question perfectly. Thank you. :jumping:

So that being said, would a medic who found himself engaged in a fire fight, but not called upon to treat any casualties, would that medic, be entitled to any award? :rolleyes:

Also how long does a `contact` have to last in order to qualify for either CAB/CIB or CMB?

What if the contact lasted but a few seconds, a burst of AK say, no one has time to return fire, before its all over. But one guy is hit & needs treating. Would the medic qualify for a CMB, and to that end would the infantry guys qualify for a CIB?

Edited by mariner

My understanding of the CMB is that only those with the designated MOS medic receive it-for action under fire. It is for designated medics only who have been in combat.

see here:

<a href="http://www.amervets.com/replacement/cmb.htm#isr" target="_blank">http://www.amervets.com/replacement/cmb.htm#isr</a>

Yeh, this makes sense.

But it still doesn`t define what `under fire` means.. :rolleyes:???

I actually spoke to a member of my local MP company who was sporting his CAB yesterday. He got his for repeated exposure to mortar attacks (@ 20 rounds total) over a one day (!) period in 2004. That was his total exposure to combat in his year's tour in Iraq.