News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Haiti

Hello Gentlemen

Here pictured is the Haitian Legion of Honour founded by Emperor Faustin 1850-59.

Are there any experts on restoration, that would know if the silver strap was removed, would it open a pandoras box? Does anybody have a print of one to show how the upper arm joins the crown? Thanks

Sincerely

Yankee

It appears that almost all Order from the Faustin I period are badly damaged. The Legion d' Honneur is based very much on the French one and the suspension is very similar.

I would leave well alone, it is a scarce award and certainly rarer than the Order of Faustin, and given that it is already quite beadly damaged I think attempted restoration could bee quite dangerous.

Paul

It appears that almost all Order from the Faustin I period are badly damaged. The Legion d' Honneur is based very much on the French one and the suspension is very similar.

I would leave well alone, it is a scarce award and certainly rarer than the Order of Faustin, and given that it is already quite beadly damaged I think attempted restoration could bee quite dangerous.

Paul

I agree. Leave it alone.

Paul

Hi paul

I remember the old Faustin lst examples you had in the last ANS auction. Was not aware that the Legion of Honour was more scarce, would have thought opposite since the Faustin l ranks as a higher order as I recall. I know you to be expert in this field, thanks for that. Are there any records in the numbers issued? I have seen another example of an even older Haitian piece that was offered by Liverpool in their 98 catalog & that too had a silver boot or strap in the exact same location. It is safe to say that the strap/ boot were never orginally part of the order but only used as a repair. Perhaps both pieces repaired by the same local jeweler. Since I have not seen another piece it is very hard to compare.

Sincerely

Brian

Lovely, and quite rare. Never ever ever ever ever attempt enamel repair. Will destroy history and manufacture totally worthless junk.

Hi Ed & Paul R

Understand what you guys mean, saw not too long ago on another site how a fine order was :speechless: desroyed in attempting to clean.

Sincerely

Brian

Dear all,

I agree that in the scheme of things the Order of Faustin ought to be rarer and certainly in the higher grades it is extremely elusive. I have however handled four Knight's badge (and 2 miniatures) of Faustin I. Strangely with the Legiond d'Honneur I have only encountered two breast stars (one with pastes, a later restoration and the ANS French made specimen). Obviously I can only judge rarety by the examples accounted. By the way has anyone ever encountered the Orders of St Mary Magdalene or St Anne, I certainly never have. If any one has (and preferably has an image) I would be most interested.

All the best,

Paul