News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boer War Mauser Bayonet

spionKopKid

I am looking at purchasing yet some more Boer war militaria and was hoping to get myself a Mauser bayonet (Since the Mauser isn't obsolete yet i can't have one of those!!)

My question is what bayonet was used with the M95,96,97 mausers? I have scratched around the internet and can't seem to find any reference.

Did the Boers purchase bayonets with their Mausers? You never read of them getting close enough to use them!!

Failing the Mauser bayo I could always get a Lee-Metford but everybody and his dog seems to have one!!

thanks for any assistance!!

I am looking at purchasing yet some more Boer war militaria and was hoping to get myself a Mauser bayonet (Since the Mauser isn't obsolete yet i can't have one of those!!)

My question is what bayonet was used with the M95,96,97 mausers? I have scratched around the internet and can't seem to find any reference.

Did the Boers purchase bayonets with their Mausers? You never read of them getting close enough to use them!!

Failing the Mauser bayo I could always get a Lee-Metford but everybody and his dog seems to have one!!

Hi,

in many (especially period) accounts of the Boer war the British authors write something along the lines of "And then the Yorkshire regiment attacked with the bayonet. The Boers had no stomach for this kind of fighting and fled the scene."

No surprise as you don't engage in a bayonet fight if you don't have one.

I think the pre war artillery units had them, but not in the field.

best

Chris

Hi,

in many (especially period) accounts of the Boer war the British authors write something along the lines of "And then the Yorkshire regiment attacked with the bayonet. The Boers had no stomach for this kind of fighting and fled the scene."

No surprise as you don't engage in a bayonet fight if you don't have one.

I think the pre war artillery units had them, but not in the field.

best

Chris

I Guess this is the one order by the OVS for artillery units

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/transva1.htm

I'll keep my eye our for one!!

Thanks for the help

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I was about to list a m96 mauser bayonet on here asking if anyone could help with the value,its in its original frog but i know nothing more.

Regards David