News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Rakosi Peaked Cap

Last Saturday at the monthly militaria show I came across a Rakosi era peaked cap. The cap showed some deterioration due to poor storage but had the original cap badge in place. Something that I rarely see for sale. The cap has what appears to be a brown leather peak and chin strap. There never was a sweat shield in the cap. I don't think that it was worn very much as the inspection stamps etc are still clearly visible on the interior lining.

A front view of the cap.

Edited by Gordon Craig

According to regulation 2.784 / Htpszf. Hbs. Csf. Szerv - 1951. The peaked cap or 'plate cap' (in Hungarian) the sweat band was to be removed and replaced with a canvas strip. Those caps with the sweat band were to be discarded by December 31st, 1953. The 'new' cap without the sweat band was to be known as the M51 Peaked Cap. Just in case anyone was interested..... :rolleyes:

Charles,

Thanks for the info but it left me somewhat confused. Not an unusual situation for me though! This cap has a leather sweat band so was never altered. From what you say above, it would have been discarded in 1953. But these caps are seen in wear in photos after that. Or at least in photos that say they are from later than that. One that comes to mind is on page 42 of the Osprey book "The Hungarian Revolution 1956. So, regardless of regulations, how long were they actually worn?

Regards,

Gordon

From what I could gather - its the sweat shield - not band (sorry!) which you indicated it never had. The cap continued to be used for quite a while - the regulations called for the sweat shield type to be removed from service in 1953, but the ones manufactured after 1951 did not have the feature. So apparently from 1949 to 1951 these were manufacutred with the shield and according to the regulation the shileld was made of felt. ?