News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cigarette case question

Gentlemen,

I recently acquired a silver cigarette case which, if nothing else, reflects classic Soviet artwork which I think is reflective of the 1930 era and early Red Banners of the various republics. I apologize if this is :off topic: , but there is a question which I will get to in a moment.

Now, to the question. I am told that the inscription on the reverse translates as follows:

?To a friend and boss L. F. Mangesy (?) from coworkers of DTO and ODTO of Tashkent. Five years anniversary in middle Asia.

City of Tashkent

28 February 1931"

Can anyone tell me what DTO and ODTO stand for?

I thank you in advance,

Wild Card

• 4 weeks later...

There's a bit in the cigarette case inscription that's gone missing in translation. I think

Ташкент. Ср-Аз ж.д.

stands for

the Tashkent Middle-Asia railroad (railways).

The DTO is probably an abbreviation for Department of Roads and Transportation, the ODTO I have never heard about but my guess would be 'Special Department of Roads and Transportation'. How and why the two departments were working together for 5 years (which this case seems to be celebrating) is beyond me.

Sergei

Sergei,

Thank you for your help. I am inclined to think that this gift celebrates a five year anniversary of service in Tashkent, working in the railway department. Whether DTO and ODTO existed simultaneously or at a certain point DTO became ODTO (or vice versa) we will probably never know. I am just very thankful to find out what these acronyms represent.

Bryan,

Thank you also for your help and the compliment. As I said in my introduction, I like them because, to me, they are top quality examples of an art form that lasted for a short period of time.

Best wishes Gentlemen, :beer:

Wild Card

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone provide any information on this badge?

Dear Wild Card,

I have an ident badge in my collection :jumping: , but the enamel at my badge went off completly :( .

There are two versions: One from brass (like on your cigarette case and in my collection) and one made of silver.

Igor offers a silver-version for almost USD 2.000,- : http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=18237

Best regards :beer:

Christian