News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Roman coins...

Funny how this thread pops up. The last couple weeks I've been fighting the urge to buy an "uncleaned" lot and enjoying the long soak that leads to....something good hopefully.

In fact, I'm wearing a Roman coin I cleaned and had mounted as a simple pendant (no damage). I got pix somewheres...

Edited by Eric Gaumann

Hello Eric, Good coins and good work in the cleaning job. I can't read the first one but the second is a Constantine I and the second a Constantine II ( CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C.) Both with the camp gate PROVIDENTIA AVG.

I will look again but guess the first one can also be a Constantine I GENIO POPULI ROMANO.

Have a look here at my collection. http://www.grifomultimedia.it/adg/monrom/etacostantino.htm

Eduardo

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone care to recommend a good dealer for uncleaned coins? I got the itch bad. :)

I've always wanted a Roman coin or two, I've been tempted numerous times to buy the big bag of uncleaned coins.

I really think that people that collect Militaria are a bunch of pack rats, I bet 99% of us have Meteorites, fossils, coins and who knows what else.

Any ways if you find A good dealer let me know.

Eric

Guest Rick Research

"I bet 99% of us have Meteorites, fossils, coins and who knows what else."

You got THAT right! :cheers:

Once a packrat, always a packrat!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit collecting roman artifacts is one of my other passions, it all started with 7 roman coins purchased off eBay UK and escalated - Archaeologists frown on eBay sellers, as in just about all cases all context of the finds is lost when they are dug up only to sell for profit, and to archaeologists the context of the find is the important information - metal detectorists could clean out all the metal finds from an important site and consequently it never gets investigated archaeologically. Valuable sites will be lost from history because a few unscrupulous people with a metal detector have an urge to make some easy money.

I know there are alternatives like Resistivity surveys, Magnetometry scans and ground penetrating radar, but these are usually led to a site by the presence of many interesting metal finds - if they are gone - whats to lead them there?

I now only purchase items found in the UK and registered already with the portable antiquities scheme run by the government. Where place, time and context are all logged with the county archaeologist. I believe it is the responsible way to continue collecting these fantastic items - and just a parting thought - I cant think of anything Ive made that will still be around in 2000 years time - can you?