News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Presentation Set For a Competition

Gentlemen,

I've looked at this particular presentation set in a show case at a local coin shop for several months now and didn't buy because I didn't want to pay the price. A couple of days ago I decided to bite the bullet and go and try and bargain with the shop owner who hadn't been very amenable to that in the past. As luck would have it we were able to come to a mutually agreeable price fairly quickly. Also, I knew that the layout of the case was quite different than any I had seen before but never asked to have it taken out of the cabinet to look at until this past week. Once out of the cabinet it became readily apparent that this was a totally new type of presntation set to me. Instead of opening by having the cover hinged at the rear this case opens like a book with two recessed sections on either side of the central portion or what would be the spine of the book. The sets of badges are simply mounted on plain pieces of cardboard and not on red cloth as in previous ones we have posted here. There is a complete set of Qualification badges for the land forces and a set of 1st, 2nd and 3rd class badges for a navigator in the air force. The case is covered in red plastic with gold lettering embossed on the cover. The lettering indicates that this case was awarded as part of a competition, which could be sports or political(? not sure of the translation here and the shop owner who speaks very good English couldn't do it either). It also seems to indicate that this case introduces these new badges(?). I can not remember the date this type of badge was introduced. Perhaps Charles can help here? It would appear that this presentation set was not as elaborate as other presentation sets we've looked at because it was for use within the country and not to be presented to Foreign Delegations etc.

Regards,

Gordon

All that I know about the introduction is what was relayed to me by the Lt. Col at the Signals Museum in the now obsolete Bolyai Janos Military Colledge. He stated that these badges came into existance in 1975. It would have been nice to have seen a date on that case! Glad you got a better deal on it! Wonder if they will bring out more inventroy now that you bought it! :rolleyes:

Charles,

Seems like 1975 was the date of introduction. I bought some documents today from Sanyi at Petofi Csarnok. In with the documents was a photopopy of a book on Hungarian Air Force badges and awards from 1910 to 1990. This book lists these rectangular badges as being introduced in 1975.

I don't know that he has any more stuff to bring out. I think we have pretty well "mined out" this resource. It will remain as a place to visit from time-to-time but not that often.

Regards,

Gordon