News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hermann Pohrt - flyer with Turkish awards

Close-up of Pohrt: He seems to have been a flyer from the Marineinfanterie. The 1918 RL lists an Olt dR Pohrt - with only EK1 and LD2! - but he's wearing the Lübeck Hanseatic Cross, Anhalt?, BMV4X, TWM and the Medjdie order.

Pohrt got a Dr. jur. from the University of Breslau in 1921.

DSCN3757c.jpg

Edited by webr55

Guest Rick Research

You're right about the Marine Infanterie one. :cheers:

Medal bar--

EK

Pr LD2 (which would have been replaced by an LD1 later that year or 1920)

L?H

OK2 (spectrum shift "inverts" combatant ribbon colors)

BT4bX (not BMV4X)

Medjidie (can't tell class-- must have Sabers)

probably empty ribbon of TWM (earliest I've seen this stupid error)

As a marine flyer, he never joined the MOH so I have ZERO on him after the war.

Ahh yes! Mistook the shapes. So that's why I couldn't find him in O'Connor's Bavarian volume.

But in any case, this again shows that the 1918 RL was behind quite some time.

Edited by webr55

Guest Rick Research

Luckily for us, ALL officers who served in the Imperial naval forces 1914-18 had this level of detail listed in 1930's Honor Rank List

Also luckily for researchers not ancient enough (like me) to have the originals, our Paul C has scanned many of the most useful German Rank Lists onto CDs. That is where this image is from. It sure saves wear and tear on my 77 year old original!!!

You're right about the Marine Infanterie one. :cheers:

Medjidie (can't tell class-- must have Sabers)

Why, the turkish sword system is different to the german and austrian modus vivendi, Swords on turkish orders (medjidie, osmanie) indicate as far as i know a second award of the decoration in

times of war.

Unfortunately dozens of german officers didn't realize that and went to their jewellers to put swords on their turkish orders

haynau

Guest Rick Research

Second award? No, not at all. Sabers were added in 1915 for Great War military/combat decorations--and are astonishlngly rare.

I'm amazed that somebody who only served on a Turkish front from May 1918 on got a Medjidie with Sabers at all when a Liakat Medal in Silver with sabers would have been the normal step up from the War Medal star.

Marine-Zahlmeister/Konteradmiral (V) August B?ning's award dates are unknown to me, but must have accrued during his Tigris-Euphrates Flotila service 1916-17

This super-sized 5th Class is one of only 3 Medjidies 5th Class with Sabers I have seen in 40 years of collecting.

Guest Rick Research

That L?beck roll is going to make a lot of us VERY happy in the New Year! :cheers:

Yes: Imtiaz with Sabers, Liakat with Sabers, IDIOT fashion empty ribbon for the TWM, and Medjidie--suggesting it is the type WITHOUT Sabers or it would not be last.

The photo must date later than 1931, since the sleeve insignia is that of a Korvettenkapit?n (I assume since no Imperial XXV long service cross he wouldn't have been a Fregattenkapit?n) (Ing-E): gear wheel of the Engineer Corps surrounded by the first Wehrmacht pattern rope border for recalled retreads.

I think I see a Hindenburg Cross X in second place and what appears to be the first pattern Kriegsmarine metal cap eagle-- can you zoom in on his awards and cuff insignia?

Circa 1934?

MY best GUESS-- since the wartime Navy Rank Lists do not show foreign awards and he was not Reichsmarine, going by Turkish wartime assignments and (E) status would be

Erich K?ster

born 31.8.1884, apparently died 1937/38 (vanishs, anyway)

Navy 1.10.04-9.9.20

M-Ing 19.10.12

M-ObIng 17.10.15 Y

char KaptLt (Ing) aD 10.12.20

KorvKapt (Ing-E) with retroactive seniority 1.11.29 #2 as of 1935

Naval officer on staff of Wehr-Ersatz Inspektion Magdeburg 1935 and 1936,

Naval officer on staff of Wehrbezirks Kommando Kiel 1937

Medjidie 4th Class of the pre-war peacetime variety gazetted 14.7.14-- he served aboard SMS Goeben from before her voyage to Turkey until December 1915.

As of the February 1918 Navy Rank List, all he showed was an EK2! :banger:

Stijn David said:
    => awarded the L?h on 28.08.1918 as a Oberleutnant der Reserve => while acting with the I Seeflieger-Abtl.

Thanks, very interesting!

Rick Research said:
    I think I see a Hindenburg Cross X in second place and what appears to be the first pattern Kriegsmarine metal cap eagle-- can you zoom in on his awards and cuff insignia?

Not really. A pic from the net. That's the best I can do, see below:

BTW, happy Christmas to you all!

Chris

KorvKap_mit_Medjdie___vielleicht_Kassel_1931b.jpg

Edited by webr55

• 3 years later...

I know that this thread is some years old but maybe for interest, here some infomration about Olt.d.R. Pohrt

Lt.d.R. Pohrt Kommandiert zur II. MFA zur Ausbildung. Danach zur HSS Tondern am 12.06.1915

Olt.d.R. Pohrt (LFA) Landfliegerabzeichen am 28.12.1915

Olt.d.R. Pohrt (LFA) Kommandiert nach Johannisthal am 18.03.1916

Olt.d.R. Pohrt (LFA) Kommandiert zur FS Hage am 10.05.1916

Olt.d.R. Pohrt (FestFS Wilhelmshaven (Leiter)). Kommandiert zur II. SFA zum Umschulen auf Seeflugzeuge am 08.06.1916

Olt.d.R. Pohrt Kommandiert zur SFS Varna (Bulgarien) am 13.09.1916

Olt.d.R. Pohrt (II. SFA) Seefliegerabzeichen am 16.09.1916

HSS = Hallenschutzstation

LFA = Landfliegerabteilung

SFA = Seefliegerabteilung

SFS = Seeflugstation

Here some further information but i am not sure if it is the same Pohrt but possible:

Lt.d.R.M.I. Pohrt Beförderung zum Olt.d.R.M.I am 20.06.1915

Olt.d.R.M.I. Pohrt Kommandiert als Leiter einer SFS am Schwarzen Meer. Verteilung regelt Kvt.Kpt. Stubenrauch am 03.01.1917

Olt.d.R.M.I. Pohrt Ehrenpreis für Vernichtung eines russischen Dampfer am 07.01.1918

Olt.d.R.M.A. Pohrt Kommandiert zur SFS in der Türkei am 13.04.1918

Regards Alex

Edited by jaba1914