News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another brave Zouave....

Chris Boonzaier

Bonsoir Chris,

Great stuff !

Here's what it reads :

"Excellent soldat, a soutenu le moral de ses camarades pendant une violente contre-attaque ennemie pendant 5 heures avec une mitrailleuse ennemie. D?cor? de la M?daille Militaire. Sign? G?n?ral G?rard.

Citation ? la Division. No.89 23-5-15.

Excellent soldier, supported the morale of his comrades during a violent ennemy counter-attack for 5 hours with an ennemy machine-gun. (...)

Excellent soldat, a fait preuve de sang-froid et d'?nergie, a tenu l'attaque avec tous ses camarades de son escouade et sauv? le Commandant du 72e d'Infanterie qui ?tait entre les lignes fran?aises et ennemies. Sign?, G?n?ral G?rard

Citation ordre du R?giment No.96 13-11-16 4e Zouaves.

Excellent soldier, showed cold-blood and energy, checked the attack with all his comrades from his squad and saved the Commanding-Officer of the 72nd Infantry Regiment who was between the French lines and the ennemy lines (...)

Chef d'?quipe des Grenadiers s'est particuli?rement distingu? pendant les journ?es du 24 au 26 octobre 1916.

Le Lieutenant Colonel Commandant le 4e Zouaves Michaud."

Team leader of the Grenadiers, particularly distinguished himself during the days from the 24 to the 26th October 1916 (...)

Meilleures salutations,

J?r?me

The ribbon on the top is probably a wound badge, which officially is only a ribbon, but later became an unofficial medal.

Jan

Here's a pic from the "Symbol et Traditions" journal

(if anyone has a copyright problem with this, please let me know and I'll remove the pic)

The top "bar" was worn seperatly as a wound badge

Edited by Vatjan