News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pilots commemorative badge from Santa.

Gentlemen,

This is a new badge in my collection and information on these is a little scare, at least in my reference pile. I have looked at Detlevs book and this piece differs from the Juncker shown by a bit. I had originally thought this to be an unmarked Junker but with the differences I am not sure. This piece has a wider uncovered hinge not like other Juncker pieces. Also, there is less detail to the crown. There is a noticeable brass colored section on the edge of the badge where I imagine two pieces were joined. The extra boulder on the mountain to the right seems odd to me.

According to the seller, this was blessed by Detlev after an in hand inspection. There seems to be the same type of badge on Emedals right now with a Detlev document.

My question is - does everyone agree this is a pre 1945 item? I can not find much about them and would greatly appreciate any help or input. I can still return this if I need to.

Thanks,

Chet

Hi, I would say that the badge is probably OK . There is no 100% way of saying if it is a war time piece or 20's but nice all the same. The 'pip' or ' boulder' you refer to could at worst be a bubble burst on the master mould of an electro formed piece(fake) but i doubt it, is most likely to be flaw/hole in the die through use. Eventually the flaw can get worse and a piece of the die actually breaks off leaving a depression or ' cud ' as it is known in the trade. It is clearly not Juncker (Niemanns reference picture shows reverse side only of Juncker example). Unknown maker and it looks like tombak not silver. These were made in several metals according to availabilty of materials or buyers pocket ! Nice piece and rare too . Ferg1.

• 2 weeks later...