News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Kristof,

I had posted a thread with info how to contact the translator that I sometimes use on <a href="http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21507" target="_blank">http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21507</a>. Of course there are several others who offer this service as not everyone collector/researcher reads russian.

Alternatively, I would suggest that you post a larger scan that will allow us to read the citation. On my laptop I can hardly make out the letters let alone read it! Or is it just my eyesight that is failing!

All the best!

Jim :cheers:

Edited by JimZ

Guest Rick Research

Certainly happy to oblige, but as Jim says-- if we can't SEE it, we can't READ it.

You should be able to scan this quite legibly at 150dpi, no wider than 6 inches so no part of the page is off screen and if you have to, simply do a few lines at a time.

Did you also get the Awards Record Card? I hope so, since that is the sole verification of serial numbers.

I can't even read his family name. All I can get by squinting at microscopic blurs is:

Semion Timofeevich O..., born 1923, Lieutenant (2 stars), commander of some sort of platoon in a battery of 1965th something of 43rd Independent something, apparently of the High Command Strategic Reserve. Born 1923, Ukrainian, Candidate Member of the CPSU since 1944. In Red Army since 1941, having been called up from someplace in Odessa Oblast, and at the front since October 1942.

Light wound 10.8.44, severe wound 10.8.4(3?).

Had previously been decorated with an Order of the Red Banner 14.8.44 per somebody at 3rd White Russian Front and and Patriotic War 1st Class 8.10.44 per somebody at 6th Guards Army.

The citation is SOMETHING about Hungary on 25.1.45 involving 3 attacks, 2 tanks and an APC, and then something about 6 tanks and 2 APCs.

But this is hopeless at the size you've posted. Try it in sections and crop away all the useless blank margin spaces.

Hello:

Recipients last name appears to be онищук ( Onishchuk?)

Severly wounded on 10.8.43

Citation refers to

City of Dunafeldvar Hungary on 25.01.45

I read "repelling enemy counterattacks. Repel enemy attacks knocking out 2 tanks and 1 APC. Also atttacking the enemy and knocking out 6 tanks and 2 APC's. Comrade Onishchuk gained control of the area and repelled hostile counterattacks.

I'm still working on filling the holes.

I hope this helps with what you have been able to decypher. I'd love to see the award card and the award!

Regards

Rick

Rick.

Thanks for the translation.

If you don't main and if you give me your email address I can send you better resolution scan of this citation.

Best Regards

Kristof

Hello:

Recipients last name appears to be онищук ( Onishchuk?)

Severly wounded on 10.8.43

Citation refers to

City of Dunafeldvar Hungary on 25.01.45

I read "repelling enemy counterattacks. Repel enemy attacks knocking out 2 tanks and 1 APC. Also atttacking the enemy and knocking out 6 tanks and 2 APC's. Comrade Onishchuk gained control of the area and repelled hostile counterattacks.

I'm still working on filling the holes.

I hope this helps with what you have been able to decypher. I'd love to see the award card and the award!

Regards

Rick

Thanks very much for your help Rick Research and to you Rick (Koopyetz).

Rick I tray to send you scans of my citation but not luck

It return back.please send me again your email address and send to my email address

kristof@jeack.com.au

Best regards

Kristof

Kristof:

Glad to help. Thanks in a big way to Rick Research though. He did the bulk of the work.

Regards

Rick

Guest Rick Research

Not surprisingly, given the mentions of armored vehicles destroyed, I'm almost sure his unit was "Exterminator Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment...." ("Ist. Protivtank. Art. Polk") which I think meant that his (independent?) "battery" was what the Germans called Sturmgesch?tz-- tank mounted turretless anti-tank tanks. There may also be something in the citation about senior officer(s) having been put out of action, command of the battery had devolved upon him (a mere 2-star Lt) for the Nevsky action. But too small and blurry to be sure of the connections.

Hello Kristof:

I'm glad to help where I can. I appreciate the documents posted by forum members.

I sent another e-mail message. Perhaps me trying to type at a late hour even something like my e-mail address with transposed letters may

have sent your attempt to me to another world!

Please also try a better post of your document here. Thanks again

Regards

Rick

Rick.

I'm just send you all research of this officer

I'm new to computers and I have problem sending big fail.

please put on the forum this officer Nevsky citation on my behalf.

Kristof

Hello Kristof:

I'm glad to help where I can. I appreciate the documents posted by forum members.

I sent another e-mail message. Perhaps me trying to type at a late hour even something like my e-mail address with transposed letters may

have sent your attempt to me to another world!

Please also try a better post of your document here. Thanks again

Regards

Rick

Kristof:

I received the files. Wow! I was very pleased when the recipients photo came on the screen. :)

I have asked for help here on the forum from one of the members who will do the posting as he has a better file upload capability

than I do. Thank you JimZ in advance for this.

Translation to follow.

Regards

Rick

Awards Record Card First part

1.Onishchuk

2.Semen Timofeevich

3.leutenant

4.male

5.born in 1922

6.Odesskaya oblast, Golovachevsky rayon, Matveevka

7.member of VKP(b) from 1944

8.education - lowest

9.Ukrainian

10.in Soviet Army: July 1941 - March 1947

11. served when awarded: 1965 Exterminator Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment, 43 Exterminator Anti-Tank Artillery Brigade, platoon commander

12.serving at that time: Regional Party 2-years School, student

13. adress: Odessa, Korolenko str. 26, apt. 13

Red Banner

Patriotic War 1st class

Alexander Nevsky (? of document is lost)

For Gallantry

Guest Rick Research

:jumping: Perfect, perfect-- although the right margin has cropped off full dates on p.2 of his ARC and the year he was promoted Lt on his Service Record.

Born 22 June 1922 in the village of Matveevka, Golovaiesky Raion, Odessa Oblast.

Class Origin: workers and peasants

Member # 9,218,527 of the CPSU since 1944

Attended school to 7th class in 1938

Attended Podolsk Artillery School March to September 1942

Participated in GPW on:

Southwest Front October '42 to August '43

Kalinin Front Sept-Nov '43

3rd White Russian Front December '43 to August '44

1st Baltic Front Aug-Sept '44

3rd Ukrainian Front Jan-March '45

I'll leave the rest for our Willing Volunteers :cheers: and will fill in any gaps or problems with the handwriting, if I can.

It is rather an odd career-- 6 years in the army and never promoted after commissioning, despite an awesome war record, multiple wounds, and terrific decorations. I know he was only 25 when he was discharged-- but we've seen Majors as young as 24. It must be that he had absolutely no intention of a military career, so they didn't "waste" extra stars on his shoulder boards.

:jumping: Perfect, perfect-- although the right margin has cropped off full dates on p.2 of his ARC and the year he was promoted Lt on his Service Record.

Erm .... no cropping on my end.... or so I believe!! :rolleyes:

Jim :cheers: