News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For better understanding I will try to explain the rules after 1914.

You could wear peace- and wartime decoration together, like the bar before.

Each time you received a higher class (peace or war) you had to return the lower one.

Exemptions from the rule

1. You got the MVO/MVK with X during different wars you were aloud to wear both, for example a MVO4x in the Colonies and a MVO3x during WWI or a MVK2x for GSWA and a MVK2 with Crown and X

in WWI.

2. When you got the Officers Cross you kept the MVO3 on the bar, but when getting the MVO2 you had to return both.

3. When you die your heirs had to return the decorations. There was also the possibility to buy it.

That?s all.

Only a few of the recipients of MVKx did not return it when getting the higher class. It is all written down in the rolls. There is a note when you got the higher class and returned the lower. Also you see in there that all got the decoration on the ribbon for war merit (Kriegsverdienst) first and afterwards the one on the normal war ribbon. A few got a second award on the ribbon for war merit and returned the other one.

Only for 1866 and 1870/71 you had to return the MVO when getting the MMJO. Not in WWI.

Guest Rick Research

I hope when you do the Bavarian Rolls you will include those returned notations. :cheers: Daniel and I have done that with the Rolls we have, to show promotions to higher classes, or posthumous returns.

For example, in Lippe-Detmold, the numbers AWARDED minus the numbers RETURNED = :Cat-Scratch::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

:Cat-Scratch: What?

Of course they were.

???

I had always been running under the impression that they were awarded with the different ribbons to different classes of people. This thread is the first that I've heard of the war merit version being given to everyone. I had assumed that the war merit ribbon was more akin to the white-black EK.

Just trying to figure out the mechanics of how this process went through for the average frontline soldier that would typically be associated with the "standard" MVK/MVO. If everyone who had a the frontline ribbon had already been awarded the the war merit ribbon, I would expect to see more of it floating around.

Bavarian Leutnant der Reserve Hans N?her was awarded the MVK3 with crown and swords as an Unteroffizier with Reserve-Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 2 on 15 January 1916 and the MVO4X on 5 February 1918. This portrait was probably taken soon after he was awarded the EK1 on 6 April 1918.