News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Labor in Gold

Folks here my comprehensive understanding of the time line for all of the grades and production types of the Order of Labor

The Order of Labor and a similar Merit Medal of Labor were instituted on February 25th, 1948 by the Hungarian parliament. The Order and the Medal were intended ?to reward those who had performed exceptionally in building up the Hungarian cultural and social programs as established by the working goals of the Three Year Plan?. (the three year plan had been established in 1947 to bring Hungary out of the post war recession) The Order of Labor was bestowed in three classes of gold, silver and bronze. It was also the first time a cash award was bestowed to the recipient. Gold class recieved the amazingly large sum of 5000 forints. The silver grade was awarded with 3000 forints and the bronze a still substantial 1500 forints. Additionally the plan was formulated by parliament to limit the besotwal. Only 50 gold 100 silver and 200 bronze awards were to be given annually. The 1948 Order of Labor was a round medal 43mm in diameter with two shafts of wheat growing from the bottom and running along the perimeter of the medal. In the center was a cog wheel with an enameled shield in the center. The cog wheel was then superimposed over an enameled red star (industry runs communism) The Merit Medal was similar but it only came in one class, the star was not enameled and the medal itself was only 40mm in diameter.

On August 20th, 1949 Rakosi and the Hungarian Workers Party enacted a constitution so similar to the constitution of the Soviet Union, it was nearly absurd. Regardless, the effect of the one party rule came about and the Workers Party determined the symbolsim.

On September 13th, 1950 the Order of Labor and the Merit Medal were redesigned. This is the more commonly understood form of an oval shaped medal with a central star framed by two shafts of wheat. Like its predecessor, the Order of Labor remained in three grades of gold, silver and bronze. The Merit Medal was the same dimension as the Order of Labor, but was devoid of the enameled field behund the red enameled star. The 1950 Order of Labor and Merit Medal were 43mm tall x 33mm wide. In the center was a red enameled star superimposed over a white enameled field with 16 'rays'. The medal perimeter was framed by two growing shafts of wheat. At the base was the simplified form of an arched bridge with a crossed hammer and torch at the apex of the bridge. The reverse of the medal is either stamped or constructed from three solid pieces. The stamped variety (earlier forms) have the date "1949" on the reverse. Others, more commonly seen in the multi piece construction types are devoid of the inception date. Additionally the 'rays' behind the star was the sculptor's attempt at making an abstraction of the former cog wheel, but this time the 'star (communism) runs labor'.

In early 1953 the Hungarian Parliament (now in a simple role to keep tradition alive. The party asks, the ministers respond by saying 'yes') passed the 5th law which abolished all previous forms of the Order of Labor and the Merit Medal of Labor. Replacing these was the 'Order of Labor' which was the exact same strike as the Order of Labor in Gold 1950 type. The other grades of silver or bronze dissapear. A year later in 1954 a new form is made of the Order of Labor; the 32 'ray' type. Still, the Order of Labor is awarded in the single grade.

Then in 1963 the 35th law created the Order of Labor in three grades once again. The rebirth of the three grades adopetd the 32 'ray' design. Typiclay these are observed in the three piece construction with rivets and hot enamel. There is also a variant that seems to ahve appeared in the 1970s that is a one piece base with an enameled star riveted on.

In 1985 the Order of Labor underwent another change. This type is constructed of a singe piece and is struck as a convex form. The star is attached by a rivet.

So - to recap

1948 Order of Labor in Gold, Silver and Bronze. Also the Merit Medal of Labor (round medal style with cog wheel)

1950 Order of Labor in Gold, Silver and Bronze. Merit medal of Labor is retained. (new oval shaped 16 ray design)

1953 Order of Labor. All previous forms of gold, silver and bronze grades disapears along with the Merit Medal of Labor. The Order of Labor for this type only comes in gold.

1954 Order of Labor introduced with 32 rays. Still only bestowed in gold.

1963 Order of Labor reintorduced in three grades of Gold, Silver and Bronze

1985 Order of Labor is desigedn with a convex form

Order of Labor in Gold '32 ray' type issued from 1954 to the 1970's perhaps even to 1985. This one has a ribbon variant where the ribbon was used from ribbon stock for other medals. These were then simply dyed red, though obviously it was not able to hold out the other colors of silk.

Edited by hunyadi

Here are pictures of the 1985 issus of the gold Order of Labour. I'd like to point out here that the insert in the case for each of the different medal issues is different as the shape changes slightly at the bottom where we have either a bridge or the national colours pus a curved surface instead of a flat one in 1985. There is no distinction on the cover of the cases I have seen, when there is a Bronze, Silver or Gold class, to indicate what class is inside.

Regards,

Gordon

Guest Rick Research

Is the early one in post 2 silver-gilt? Looks like it.

And what the heck is actually holding the white rayed backing piece ON to that type? There doesn't seem anything substantial to make it "stick" to the outer wreath. Soldered UNDER the piece, with enamel already applied? Or glued? Or ... ?

Have either of you ever seen a damaged one that has fallen apart and spilled its construction secrets?

Rick,

No the award in #2 is gold. It just looks silver for some unknown reason. The only two 16 ray awards I have seen were the gold one Charles owns and the silver one I own. If I saw one in pieces I would probably cry! We bought ours at the same time from the same guy.

Regards,

Gordon

The only type that I have seen appart is a three rivet type. If you closely look at Hungarian awards, they made some great designs, but many had flaws that were from time to time reivsed. Case study of the crossed PPSH's on the Order of Merit of Distingushed Service. First types had glued on PPSH's - then they must have fell off, because the next form rivited them on.

As the first oval type of multiple construction appears to be eitehr pressed together or more than likely glued, I would say that there was probably some problems with them coming appart as in 1954 they began the 32 ray with the three rivets to hold it all together. There are no three piece single rivet 32 ray types out there in any publication or that I have observed.

Another one to add to the list. Just picked it up today. A flat back, single rivet, in gold, in the case. This is a late issue painted case but is still in excellent condition. Charles and I often find these cases with the paint gone soft and they stick to anything. I beleive this happenes becasue they sit on vendors table in the sun at flea markets and the sun makes the paint soft and it never hardens again. I have a few of these cases in mint condition and kept out of the sun they stay that way. Here is the cover closed. I won't show the bottom as unlike other cases the top and bottom of this kind of case are identically painted. Here is the case closed.

The case open. Note the size of the star. It is smaller than most. I you look at other medals in this and the associoated threads you will see some that are this size and others that touch the sides of the medal.

Edited by Gordon Craig

I owe a vote of thanks to Charles for outlining the points of interest in this early, 1954-1957 Gold Order of Labour. It is much better made than the later issues and appears to have real gold plating rather than just being made of a gold coloured metal. I am afraid that my photographs don't do this particular medal justice. When held in your hand the gold "sparkles" in a way that later gold classes, that are not gold plated, can not.

I'll start with the case the medal came in which matches the award era.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Guest Rick Research

I note the same "dirty" white enamel on the :love: gilt Gold one as on my Silver class: better METAL finish, but yuckier real enamel than the Staybrite/paint ones.

Rick,

You are correct in that the enamel on this gold order seems to have a lot of impurities in it. Doesn't seem reasonable that the enamel would have looked like this when they were made. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to use real silver or gold to plate a medal and then use a low grade enamel process to finish it. Especially when we know they were capable of excellent enamel work. Perhaps this is something that happened over time as the medal aged. Since we don't know the entire process we will never know for sure. At least now we know the hallmarks of an early 32 ray piece.

Regards,

Gordon

This is very common occurance on the enamel of items from the late 1940's and 1950's. Its almost like the 'patina' from the base leeches out and onto the enamel. Though purists cringe, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. (I like to use the artists eraser as its pliable and gets into the deep recesses.) But like silver patina - it does come back

Guest Rick Research

That's interesting to know about the ongoing chemical "decomposition." Sounds worse than it actually is, looking at one in the hand. There may be some sort of reaction to pollutants in the air etc-- or maybe the glue fumes :speechless1: from being Tutankhamun'd in a case for decades. :cheeky:

• 2 months later...