News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Order of the White Eagle of Poland

Dear Friends,

Attached pictures of very nice quality Order. I wonder if this is actual awarded piece -or perhaps exile piece. I have never seen ones that Spinks made, but this is very hig quality, three part construction. (No breast star). This came from good source and had been in local collection at least from 1960's.

I would appreciate your help.

Jani

Edited by Jani Tiainen

Hello Jani,

Even at the first sight the item is made NEITHER from the original pre-WWII dies, NOR is it Spink's manufacturing. Let me point out some differences:

1. ball finials: all original items have very small finials, these are huge;

2. reverse facture: original reverse is plain, polished, yours is factured, with the same pattern as the obverse albeit without the enamel;

3. reverse cipher: the leg of the "R" is separated and it certainly should not be;

4. enamel: as it seems from the photos, it is laid thinly and unevenly, particularly the white one; note the flaw on the eagle's left wing which appeared apprently during the manufacturing process - this would disqualify the badge from being accepted;

5. sash: color shade can be distorted on the photos, but it certainly has narrow darker pinstripes alongside - the original sash does not. I know the sash is not a decisive part, still it is some hint. This kind of sash was used with the Order of Merit of the Peoples' Republic of Poland.

There are some other differences, but these are most apparent. Do you know what metal it is made of? The original items should be made of silver and gilt. Are there any hallmarks? What are the dimensions of the badge?

I am not able to provide you with the photos of the original items at the moment, I will try later. Quite surprisingly your cross is very similar to the one depicted in Arnhard Graf Klenau's Catalog (#6632). To me your order looks like a collector copy, quite many of which were made in Poland in 1960s through 1980s.

I do hope that what I wrote above will not make me added to the list of your enemies - I really did not mean to disappoint you. I will have my beer I hope? ;)

Best regards,

Lukasz

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...