News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Strange WW2/Korea Ribbon Bar

Paul R

Now for a little fun... What is strange from this ribbon bar? Is it a correct and legitimate piece? That is enough for now! Lets hear your input!

It all looks kosher and in the proper order except for the first all-red ribbon, which could be FR Legion of Honor among many others. But an American would never wear it first.

Uh-isn't the first ribbon a navy long service medal?

The National Defense medal was instituted in mid 1953 and distributed starting in late 1953. The Korean campaign medal was authorized in November 1950 and the UN medal was authorized in very late 1951 (so, distributed 1952+).

Thus, this dates this bar as being made in 1952/ early 1953- a wartime bar. Maybe even made in Korea-note there's NO occupation medal.

Edited by Ulsterman

Looks like a Japanese-made ribbon set for a petty officer. The maker wasn't real careful about the way the stars pointed but, as I recall, the Navy switched their regs on "2 points up" vs. "1 point up" in the 1940s.

Whoops, bonehead mistake ! Of course the red ribbon is the Navy Good Conduct Medal. Although I never got one, God knows I've seen enough of them.

With respect to the points on the stars, I'm sure Jeff is right, but we all know how careless the tailors are, and the stars had a nasty way of rotating after you'd worn them for a while.

Bottom line - Prize goes to Rick and the Ulsterman.

Guest Rick Research
    Brown material-- from an OFFICER's shirt? In the Navy before Peral Harbor, 12 (?) years enlisted service...

The China Service Medal should be the second ribbon, right after the Good Conduct. It (the China Service Medal) takes precedence before the American Defense, regardless of when it was earned.

Edited by Andwwils

Guest Rick Research

If it was from the "Panay" period... but I believe it was re-authorized for Chinese Civil War service AFTER 1945 to 1949 as well?

I think it was authorized into the mid 1950's or so. The way this person chose to mount it suggests that they received it sometime before Korea, but after WWII, so a 1949-1952ish timeframe makes sense. It's not an authorized award these days, but back then whomever fixed this bar up was either ignorant of the regulations regarding the placement of the medal or just one to make a fashion statement. I think now, I'm not sure so don't hold me to it. The China medal is definetely not awarded today, very much an obsolete ribbon in the modern US military.

Edited by Andwwils

This looks chronological to me-and this was done, there's photos out there a plenty to prove it.

I'd also be he rated more than 2 Pacific area campaign stars, but it looks locally made,private purchase piece, so maybe they only did two stars instead of multiples.

The China service medal was authorized for service in China up to 1950 i thought. I have a friend here who was a "China Marine" in 1946-47 and its his only campaign award (out in 1948). He has the Victory medal too and that's it : elegant I think.

Edited by Ulsterman

There was a 1945-1957 qualification period for the China Service Medal, ending with the Quemoy/Matsu crisis of 1957. At the time, the medal was referred to as "China Service Medal (Extended)".

The absence of an Occupation Medal may simply mean that his ship was not designated part of the occupation forces, even though it could have been in and out of Japan or Korea on a regular basis during the qualification period. It required 30 days of consective service (or 60 days non-consecutive service) to receive the medal.

The National Defense medal was instituted in mid 1953 and distributed starting in late 1953. The Korean campaign medal was authorized in November 1950 and the UN medal was authorized in very late 1951 (so, distributed 1952+).

Thus, this dates this bar as being made in 1952/ early 1953- a wartime bar. Maybe even made in Korea-note there's NO occupation medal.

Exactly! This bar combination was a 100% Legit between 1951-1953!! The combination was legitimate for only two years. There cannot be too many of these that are question free! It was such a unique combination that I had to have it! My first US Bar. :jumping: