News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RE: Eks awarded in 1914

I am going through Dave Danners' Ritter der E.K. (1915) which I have come to conclude is drawn from newspapers and the military gazette. I also am convinced there is another "lost" heft out there-L-Z for late 1914 for EK2s.

I would like to check for accuracy if possible. Would the members here be so kind as to list any EK awards they have knowledge of made in 1914 to anyone BELOW the rank of Oberstlt? Deathcards, docs,photos-diaries-whatever. i suspect the book is @ 75% complete, but that's a mere guess.

Some interesting things have leapt out already though .

According to the pamphlet, in 1914-only 13 enlisted ranks got the EK1. All the rest (@890) were to officers. 11 were awarded to EK2 (1870) holders-again all officers.

Also, there clearly were awards to civilians in the front lines: EK2s were awarded to Postmen and train drivers! Also, there were a number of well placed Beamten who got their EK2s quite early and a fascinating reference to a few other rather odd folks. Clearly Fleigertroops were also favored-pilots anyway:the glamour of the air service.

Out of 4.5 million men under arms in Dec. 1914, according to this pamphlet, there were only about 3,500 men wearing an EK2 in December, 1914. If you were young and single, having an EK must have been a guaranteed a very good time at home on Christmas leave. :cheers:

Edited by Ulsterman

Jeff,

I also am convinced there is another "lost" heft out there-L-Z for late 1914 for EK2s.

They certainly did not have any further editions when I checked at the German National Library in Leipzig a few months back.

Regards

Glenn

Hi,

ok, so if you are interested: I have a doc of Unteroffizier L?hrsen, 6. Kompanie IR "Herzog v. Holstein" Nr. 15, given according to the list of the regiment at the 27th of october, 1914.

regards

westfale

Aggh! Just out of reach-the list stops at the end of "k"-unless Heft 2 wasn't completely microfilmed.

The first volume of "Sachsen in Gro?er Zeit" contains a chronological listing of Saxon EK 1 winners from 9 September 1914 (Hauptmann G Illmann of II./Ldw. 105) to 26 June 1917 (Major Willy Kiesel, Commander of P.B. 22).

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

BACHEM, Dr.med. Joseph Max: KP Unterarzt dR in II./ RIR 80 on 6 October 1914

BEHNCKE, Hans: KP/Meck-Schwerin Lt dR mdU Meck Drag Rgt 18 but in 3. Landsturm Eskadron/ 2. Marine Division on 17.9.14

BIELKE, Julius: KB Hptm 6./ KB Fussartillerie Regiment 3 on 4 October 1914

H?NE, Ernst Wilhelm: KP Hptm dL in KP Landwehr Inf Rgt 7 on 6.10.14