News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Find...

Chris Boonzaier

Found this on Holiday. a 1000 page Tableau d'honneur published in 1921. Listed are 4000-5000 guys who were awarded the Legion D#Honneur or medaille militaire as posthumous awards. all recorded awards up until the date of publication.

I dont know if they are scarce or not, but for EUR35 there is no way i was going to leave it there....

Guest Rick Research

Alphabetical? Or (insert "aaagh" here) chronological with no index?

How easy-- or IS it-- to look up any name which may arise?

Though even with NO index I agree with you on the price! jumping.gifcheers.gif

Chris,

Excellent find.

Is there by any chance an entry for Sous-Lieutenant Fr?d?ric (Francois) Lesueur, probably of 312?me. R?giment d'Infanterie? He received the Croix de Guerre and was mentioned in brigade orders in May 1915 for combat in early September 1914.

Thanks in advance,

David

Guest Rick Research

When I was in college lo these many decades ago, I came across a volume there which appeared to be EVERY "citation" ever written, in microscopic print, thousands of pages. It weighed about as much as a refrigerator.

There was no index, and as I recall, they were NOT repeat NOT in chronological order, either. speechless1.gifspeechless1.gifspeechless1.gif

So there are surprising sources "out there" for WW1 French decorations.

Chris,

Excellent find.

Is there by any chance an entry for Sous-Lieutenant Fr?d?ric (Francois) Lesueur, probably of 312?me. R?giment d'Infanterie? He received the Croix de Guerre and was mentioned in brigade orders in May 1915 for combat in early September 1914.

Thanks in advance,

David

Hi,

Nix, nothing on him.

Medaille Militaire citations seem to be numbered... I wonder if there is a way of researching them?

Medaille Militaire citations seem to be numbered... I wonder if there is a way of researching them?

Chris,

Do you mean the formal citations that lend themselves well to framing?

The fragile documents referring to brigade or army orders are probably only an extract of the brigade or army records. Are these archived anywhere?

/David

• 1 year later...