News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

Here is an interesting set of tabs I just picked up. Comments/discussion welcome. They are thought to be Cadet tabs for Doctors attending the Medical Academy.

Gray base is the same as are seen on red cross tabs. Gulls are embroidered in dark gray thread. (from the Petersen collection)

Gary B

Edited by Gary B

Those are very interesting... they remind me of faded RLB tabs. I have never seen anything like this. What gives George the impression that they are medical academy tabs? Perhaps for a civilian or Luft Aux Medical School?

The materials look period, though they seem a little long.. I would be interested in why they are assumed to be medical, besides the light grey conection. Could some one have taken a period set of DRK tabs and embroidered the gull on it? Looks like some holes on the front.

Edited by Laurence Strong

Guest Rick Research

That is my impression as well-- there are definitely the ghosts of the missing metal Red Cross devices and two sets of holes where those were removed:

Hi,

Rick and Larry are correct, these are DRK tabs which have a pair of gulls embroidered on them. I should have been clearer in my original posting.

This is a picture I was shown which was identified as a cadet at a medical academy. I believe the picture itself to be a post war photo (East German??) but note the "A" cypher on the shoulder strap and elongated collar tab with single metal gull. I believe the identification of the posted tabs was based in part on this picture. If I recall correctly many post war DDR rank insignia were based off of Third Reich era tabs but used metal gulls.

Opinions?

Gary B

Guest Rick Research

I think you're right and this is some very strange ephemeral late 1940s transitional DDR item :jumping: -- you want to move this thread over to that section, where perhaps somebody with knowledge of such Arcane & Wonderful items may be better able to help?