News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Pair of Medical (?) shoulderboards

Gentlemen,

I have these shoulderboards that are supposed to be from the Soviet Medical Service. There is some question as to what they really are. The buttons are not important because they can be replaced. Basically, I'm asking for your opinions as to what they really are.

:beer: Doc

Gentlemen,

I have these shoulderboards that are supposed to be from the Soviet Medical Service. There is some question as to what they really are. The buttons are not important because they can be replaced. Basically, I'm asking for your opinions as to what they really are.

Doc,

Are the star embroidered?

Marc

Marc,

No they are not embroidered. Just the standard stars. Ed, that seems to go with the territory. I just ordered a $79 book on Soviet Uniforms and insignia. Maybe it will shed light on these. :unsure:

Guest Rick Research

The white ones are for white SHIRTS. There may very well be a date code stamped in with a maker logo on the tongue if they are late enough.... that would help determine what exactly they are.

White shirts would be either civil police (militia) or you've got Marines (naval infantry). I've never seen medical devices on either, but presumably they MUST have had such personnel.

The others-- please show the BOTTOMS. Since those are 6 sided, they should be detachable. Is that UNDERLAY "Waffenfarbe" or overcoat color material sticking out around the edges? To BE 6 sided boards and not chopped sew on 4 suded ones, that SHOULD be a branch underlay.... and I can't tell what the color is.

Medical undrrlay would be bright GREEN with red top stripes, back in the days of two colors. They were also then NARROWER than "normal" boards... are the Lt pair THINNER than the Major's?

Guest Rick Research

OK, no useful clues underneath.

The Major level could be Marines, any period-- but look late (1980s-ish) OR civil police (Militia) 1958-68 (after that, same on shirts, but with Soviet seal police emblems near the buttons).

I am still not sure what the COLOR and MATERIAL on the Lt boards is supposed to be.

Narrow boards for support services were cancelled in March 1958, but that is when unpiped boards first came in, so I'm at a loss. If the underlay material is basically overcoat gray color, that suggests osmething somehow from the late 1950s.

Sergey & Marc,

Thank You!!! Is there a book that covers Militia shoulderboards?

Doc,

Yes there is: History of Russian Uniform - Soviet Police 1918-1991 by Leonid Tokar.

Good thing that you asked, I opened my copy and found your white boards: Officer's shirt boards, introduced by Prikaz MVD CCCP 238 on 24/8/1972 (as far as I know, the model remained the same until the end of the USSR).

Marc

PS: let me know if you need a copy of the book.

Doc,

Yes there is: History of Russian Uniform - Soviet Police 1918-1991 by Leonid Tokar.

Good thing that you asked, I opened my copy and found your white boards: Officer's shirt boards, introduced by Prikaz MVD CCCP 238 on 24/8/1972 (as far as I know, the model remained the same until the end of the USSR).

Marc

PS: let me know if you need a copy of the book.

Marc, Thanks again my friend!!! :jumping: Yes a copy of the book would be GREAT :jumping: PLEASE PM the details to me.

Sergey,

Thanks too my friend!!!