News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Banner 2d Award

A photo of the recipient and condition of the reverse of this piece indicate that it was converted to a suspension, then back to screwback.

Fantastic piece.

I know the regulations changed at some point leading to many of the orders moving from screw back to suspension, but was there ever a choice to wear a suspension version or screwback? I ask because of the instances where they were converted and then converted back.....curious if it was personal preference or required.

Hey anyone have any 3d or 4th or higher awards??

Thanks

Edited by Sal

Thank you Sal.

As I understand it, on 19 June 1943 a change was instituted whereby, for instance, Red Banners and Lenins went from screw back to suspension while Patriotic Wars and Nevskys went from suspension to screw back. While this applied to newly issued pieces, I do not know if it was mandatory that these changes were ordered to be made to previously issued awards or not. I rather suspect that, considering circumstances at the time, a lot, if not most, conversions just could not be made.

It seems, however, that it was not uncommon for recipients to later change their awards back to the original configuration as a way of saying that this award was given before 19 June 1943 - when it really meant something.

Thank you again and best wishes,

Wild Card