News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hessian Order of Philip the Generous

Hello every one

I would appreciate comments on this breast cross of the Order of Philip. Particularly the period it was issued (is it Nimmergut's n?819 ?). The reverse bears the maker"s name as shown

The reverse to be shown on next message

Veteran

Hello every one

I would appreciate comments on this breast cross of the Order of Philip. Particularly the period it was issued (is it Nimmergut's n?819 ?). The reverse bears the maker"s name as shown

Veteran

Hi Veteran

Although sadly I do not know the answer to your question, the correct english translation would be the Order of Philipp the Magnanimous

Hello every one

Veteran

Thank you very much for your appropriate correction. I am most grateful

Hopefully, the reverse I mentioned should appear now

Best regards

Veteran

Thank you very much for your appropriate correction. I am most grateful

Hopefully, the reverse I mentioned should appear now

Best regards

Veteran

Thank you very much indeed.

An other question : the wonderful auction sale of the American Numismatic Society Collection conducted by Morton & Eden in October 2006 offered a rather similar breast commander"s cross, which differed by the fact that arms were enameled (n?77). Or is it an other type of award.

I wonder if any one has an idea of its relative rarity, since it does not come up for sale very often (or am I mistaken?)

Best regards

Edited by Veteran

Thank you very much indeed.

An other question : the wonderful auction sale of the American Numismatic Society Collection conducted by Morton & Eden in October 2006 offered a rather similar breast commander"s cross, which differed by the fact that arms were enameled (n?77). Or is it an other type of award.

I wonder if any one has an idea of its relative rarity, since it does not come up for sale very often (or am I mistaken?)

Best regards

Well, there are four different designs in total.

a) same as your but not enemaled on the center awarded up to 1849

b) yours

c) so called Commander Star with golden rays. Similar to your design, but fully white enameled and golden rays inserted within those cross arms. This one was awarded between 1911 and 1918

d) Commander Star with crown. It is basically a 4 pointed star with a crown attached to the top of the star. These are rare.

Thank you very much for this complete and enlightening information. I was rather confused with the notion of "with" and "without" enamel as mentionned by Nimmergut.

From your comments, I conclude that the cross I showed is roughly 1849-1910. As you kindly suggested with your first message.

Very best regards

Veteran