News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Slava,

What about 7 excellent tankist badges?

starshina V. Kiseleyev

Or 9 "excellent" badges

A. Matveev

Those photos were taken in the book "Breast Badges of the Red Army, 1941-1945". by B. V. Airapetyan, 2004

Edited by matteti

Guest Rick Research

Every one must be a different qualification-- there is nothing in the regulations that should allow more than one of the same badge.

Which means Master Pontoon Bridge-Chauffeur-Sniper-Baker etc etc etc! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Every one must be a different qualification-- there is nothing in the regulations that should allow more than one of the same badge.

During the rebuilding of the Red Army?s tank forces after the debacle of 1941 it was standard practice for crewmen to be trained on a single type of AFV, in a single role. In other words one would learn to be a driver in a T-34/76, knowing no other position in the vehicle, or even how to drive any other model tank. The armored service consumed men at a prodigious rate; one estimate I?ve read is that over 75% of all tankists trained were killed in the war. At any rate the demand was so great and life expectancy so short that it only made sense to train men to the minimum level needed to do the job.

Though the USSR was a model of standardization they did field a good number of different models of AFV. Could these multiple badges represent a survivor that ended up mastering multiple roles in multiple AFVs?

Which means Master Pontoon Bridge-Chauffeur-Sniper-Baker etc etc etc! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

I don't know the regulation, though I think they are printed at the end of the book, but they say that the guy had 7 of the same badges. The one with 9 though, they just mention the number without telling which one, which seems to indicate they are not all of the same badge.

I don't speak russian, but here are the texts that was under the photos... first one (just the text in white background was from the guy with 7 badges excellent tankist)

Edited by matteti

Slava,

What about 7 excellent tankist badges?

starshina V. Kiseleyev

matteti,

Interesting images. While seven or even nine Otlichnik badges awarded to the same person for repeat excellence in a single technical area certainly look impressive, our Triple Threat man in Post # 1 above earned his in three distinct areas. That is factually impressive.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Never been into "otlichnik" badges and I do not see myself getting into them (I said that abouts so many things so many times!!) as I understand they are very heavily faked nowadays ..... like almost everything else!

.... but what is the criteria for being awarded such a badge.... and how does that 'interface' as it were with a medal. Is there a point where you might get an "Otlichnik" shield instead of a medal? And why repeat awards? You're either excellent or you're not. Anyone care to educate me on this?

Jim :cheers:

• 11 months later...