News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What Did This Guy Do For A Living?

Verdun16

Just wondering what you have to do to get a bar like this. No info on the back as to who this is. Back is marked with a Budapest address. Thanks,

Bryan

What is it like a post card?

Lorenzo

Hallo Verdun 16,

very nice pictures, in photo 1 under the cravat, I believe is a Austrian Order of the Iron Crown. :speechless1:

The first Cross is the Austrian Cross of Merit.

The second Cross from the end could be a Romanian Order of the Crown, Civil type award.

But I think there are some Foreign Awards in there too.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

hello Verdun16

Interesting portrait and array of a variety of awards. The Commander of the Iron Cross would suggest a high ranking civilian official of some sort. The second class of the Order admitted the holder into the nobility (if he previously did not belong) with the title of baron until 1884.

The number and diversity of foreign awards (France, Bulgaria, Belgium etc...) points toward a member of the Foreign Service (Embassador or Minister). Or an official of the Court, possibly Protocol, who usually receive such awards from visiting Sovereigns.

He could, naturally, have been some one quite different.

Cheers

Veteran

Guest Rick Research

GREAT SPOT on the Iron Crown, Kev! I missed that!

That is PARTICULARLY WEIRD since Photo 1 starts of with

Gold/?Silver Merit Cross with Crown

Gold/?Silver Merit Cross

which suggests a lowly slogger who barely cleared what was considered minor officer status-- not at ALL what I'd expect on an Iron Crown Commander. Normally such an Exalted Personage would have Franz Joseph Order etc etc.

What I can make out on the bar of Photo 1 after those two above is

unidentifiable Medal (? 1898 Franz Joseph Jubilee? 1873 War Medal?)

unknown

Prussian Crown Order 4 (again, suggesting somebody of Lieutenant status, not a "Colonel" for the Iron Crown)

Serbian Order of the White Eagle

Serbian Order of Takovo

? Saxe Ernestine House Order from Altenburg/Coburg/Meiningen

unknown

Rumanian Order of the Crown-Officer grade (for equivalents of Captains or Majors)

Bulgarian St. Alexander Order

While the foreign awards suggest a climb up in a career to Major-ish level civilian, the LEAP from Warrant Officer to Colonel equivalents in his Austro-Hungarian decorations is BIZARRE.

Can you zoom in and enlarge on the minis on Photo 2?

The reverse identifies him as "Kapellemeister Ko(m?)zak."

Guest Rick Research

Could have been Kapellemeister anywhere-- at a theater or a fashionable health resort or...

Guest Rick Research

Not necessarily. I have typed out many German unpublished award Rolls to band directors at vacation spots, "art" theaters and so on. Anyplace that had "Bad" in its name had Royals "taking the waters" in the fashionable season-- THAT sort of person got awards like this too (so did the railway station masters at such places!). He looks too young to have been a Royal Court Kapellemeister.

Back to the 1st man-- I've tried changing the image to black and white, and can now add to the identifications above:

Gold?/?Silver Merit Cross with Crown

Gold?/?Silver Merit Cross

1873 generic War Medal (pretty sure from the size)

1898 Franz Joseph Jubilee on the NON Imperial court, general civil service half red/half white ribbon

? Spanish Order of Isabella the Catholic

Prussian Crown Order 4 (again, suggesting somebody of Lieutenant status, not a "Colonel" for the Iron Crown)

Serbian Order of the White Eagle

Serbian Order of Takovo

Saxe Ernestine House Order from Altenburg/Coburg/Meiningen

unknown--looks like a French Legion of Honor with a Crown

Rumanian Order of the Crown-Officer grade (for equivalents of Captains or Majors)

Bulgarian St. Alexander Order

Guest Rick Research

Ah! :banger: You're right. :cheers:

Something that LOOKS like that... one of the Parma or Tuscan exiled awards, or ?......

I rather agree with Rick about that un-identified award suspended to a crown. It could very well be a Second Empire (1852-1870) Legion of honor with its normal crown. That was the reason I mentioned France as one of the foreign countries who had bestowed awards on this gentleman.

I also like the idea of a Military band leader who would have made his way to the top. Possibly the Hofkapellemeister. The Second class of the Iron Crown was a prominent award, which certainly would have gone to a outstanding person in his profession making the top level close to the Sovereign's eye. It then would be a civilian award which fits with the white tie.

All this, of course, is pure guesswork. But rather fun, I would say.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

I rather agree with Rick about that un-identified award suspended to a crown. It could very well be a Second Empire (1852-1870) Legion of honor with its normal crown. That was the reason I mentioned France as one of the foreign countries who had bestowed awards on this gentleman.

I also like the idea of a Military band leader who would have made his way to the top. Possibly the Hofkapellemeister. The Second class of the Iron Crown was a prominent award, which certainly would have gone to a outstanding person in his profession making the top level close to the Sovereign's eye. It then would be a civilian award which fits with the white tie.

All this, of course, is pure guesswork. But rather fun, I would say.

Regards

Veteran

I think that Piramida could be accurate...a St. gregory, vatican order is very possible

Very good Ivan... :cheers:

Miguel

Ah! :banger: You're right. :cheers:

Something that LOOKS like that... one of the Parma or Tuscan exiled awards, or ?......

Right you are, good eyes :beer: the Military Merit or Civil Merit of Tuscany. Issued on a red ribbon with black stripes.

I'll try to find a foto later to post.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...