Militia badge?

Hello

I have just started to get interested in collecting soviet items, so I have a lot of questions. I collect mainly soviet items that don't cost much, since my other hobby is of the expencive kind, and that's collecting luftwaffe memorabilia. A few years back, I was given a collection of soviet pins and badges. I put them in a drawer, and forgot about them. I have recently rediscovered them, and I am currently trying to collect some information about them. I don't read russian, so it's not allways easy.

Today, I have a question about a soviet badge, that I have in my collection. Is it correct, that it is a patrol badge for soviet militia members? Can someone please help me with a translation, of the inscription on the badge?

All the best

Snoopy

That is indeed a badge for a Druzhinnik-- auxiliary police used most often for controlling public drunkeness. I've never been clear on exactly how to categorize them-- part neighborhood watch/part ambulance teams, along the lines of the Guardian Angels--without involvement in preventing crime per se.

They wear (wore?) simplified uniforms, and carried photo ID indicating their officially sanctioned service. I don't know if they were/are paid or literally were/are volunteers.

Thank you very much. Great badge and document you show, in that link. You have a great collection. :beer:

Dear Snoopy,

many thanks :cheers: .

But it was cheap & easy to build up such collection in the early 1990s - I had luck, to start so early with collecting Soviet awards.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Just to add my two cents on the Druzhinik badge posted by Snoopy... I agree with what Rick posted, but I also noticed last summer when I was in a Ukraine train, that aboard the train one of the stewardess, that seemed to have some authority on the others among other, was wearing such druzhinik badge, but with Ukraine colors (blue and yellow colors) which was very similar to the soviet one in shape and size and even design.

My understanding is that aboard every of their train they have such "auxiliary" police and it's a good thing when you see all those people drinking "samohon" and making noise all night!

Only problem, she was not really intimidating as we could expect from a druzhinik, but more pretty attractive...

Hello, Christian!

Inscription says: "Druzhinnik of the Guard of Public Order in the Republic of Belarus".

Secret Police in Czarist Russia had been called "Okhranka" (Okhrannoye Otdeleniye, that means "Protection Section").

:beer: