News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recommendation for the V.C.

Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd post a page from an army forms book that I have in my collection. It is a recommendation for an "Immediate award" of a Victoria Cross for actions undertaken in 1918. One of the reasons I purchased this document, other than being a documented recommendation for the V.C. is that the soldier is from an area just about 5 km. North of where I live. I have not had the chance to research this completely nor look into whether any family members are still living in the area. He joined the CEF on 24, March, 1916 at 19 years of age. The area he came from was Wellesley Township, Ontario which is near Kitchener, Ontario. I hope the photos of the document and the action he was commended for are clear. The section where "V.C." is typed looks to have been erased and replaced with the letters "V.C.". I can't make out what he was originally recommended for, it looks like "I-MM". The ink is different from the rest of the document but I think (or at least hope) the changes were made during the same period. They have been made with a type-writer that looks to have been at least from the correct period. What became of him and what, if any, decorations he was awarded are still unknown to me. More research is needed. Considering the fairly low price I paid I do not believe this has been altered in order to enhance the value.

I hope you find it interesting.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Now the section dealing with who recommemded him and the honour or reward. I think the difference in the ink colour is very evident in the photo. It could have been changed at a later date to make the document more attractive to collectors. However, that being said, the actions for which he was recommended for and award section have never been altered and that alone made it intertesting to me.

Cheers

Brian

To finish this post off I have posted a photo of the WW I 1st Canadian Div. cap badge. This did not belong to this fellow but I wanted to include it for interest.

The soldier who owned this cap badge was killed in action. I have researched him completely and will post that history another time.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

I'm reading the original entry as "DCM" erased & overtyed "VC".

It seems reccomendations for DCMs were sometimes upgraded to VC & more often reccomendations for VC to DCM.

Is anything else known about this man from records or literature?

Hello Leigh,

I must admit to being a bit ashamed in that I have not researched this soldier to the point I should. There is a good chance that some of his decentants still live in the Wellesley area. A check of our area's phone book listing shows no such name in the town of Wellesley, however there are a lot of folks in that surrounding area. I'll now see what I can find out through the Township records.

I'm glad I posted this as it has rekindled my desire to research this fellow.

Cheers

Brian

Lavery received a DCM with the recommendation citation in Supp to LG 16 Jan 1919, page 856.

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for that information. This may well be our man and I'll research deeper into his history. Is there a link where I might print out the information you have sited (i.e. Supp to LG 16 Jan, 1919, page 856) or could you post a scan if there is no link available?

Many thanks

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

• 3 weeks later...

Born January 1897, Waterloo County, Linwood Village. Father Meredith Lavery. He had ten brothers and sisters - he was the youngest.

Thanks Michael. I can find no family still in that area but I'll check with the Township Office this summer to see what I can find. Considering the number in the family there are probably some still there.

Cheerrs :cheers:

Brian