News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major Vladimir Petrovich Dovbenko

Guest Rick Research

It's an outstanding TEAM-- thanks!

"saved up particles of knowledge" ... I had Russian in college back when Brezhnev and Carter were in charge. :speechless1:

Your English is better than my fading Russian-- your help is much appreciated! :cheers:

It's an outstanding TEAM-- thanks!

"saved up particles of knowledge" ... I had Russian in college back when Brezhnev and Carter were in charge. :speechless1:

Your English is better than my fading Russian-- your help is much appreciated! :cheers:

Thank my friend for?warm words. Only constant practice in the necessary language environment, will help us to study foreign language.:beer:

Best regards,

Dmitry.

Edited by SKY MARSHAL

Guest Rick Research

Now THAT is for (cumulatively) the battle for Berlin-- so there is ANOTHER Medal he was entitled to, but doesn't show on his records!

The upper part repeats his personal information. Adds theat he was called up from Talaevsky RVK in Sumskaya Oblast,and that his next of kin was his father Petr Vakulovich Dovbenko back in the home village.

The 20th Independent Flamethrower Battalion was given the honorifics "Mozyr'sky, Order of Kutuzov, Order of Aleksandr Nevsky" -- amazing that they were not considered GUARDS!!!!

The actual citation is for accomplishing combat objectives in crossing to the west bank of the Oder on the night of 15-16 April 1945. In the subsequent fighting for Berlin, the battalion supported the infantry, destroying by flamethrower 60 German soldiers, 22 houses, 1 armored personnel carrier and one enemy "DZST" (whatever that is the abbreviation for). Besides which, by machine gun fire, the battalion destroyed about 170 German soldiers and captured 468 officers and men.

Now THAT is for (cumulatively) the battle for Berlin-- so there is ANOTHER Medal he was entitled to, but doesn't show on his records!

The upper part repeats his personal information. Adds theat he was called up from Talaevsky RVK in Sumskaya Oblast,and that his next of kin was his father Petr Vakulovich Dovbenko back in the home village.

The 20th Independent Flamethrower Battalion was given the honorifics "Mozyr'sky, Order of Kutuzov, Order of Aleksandr Nevsky" -- amazing that they were not considered GUARDS!!!!

The actual citation is for accomplishing combat objectives in crossing to the west bank of the Oder on the night of 15-16 April 1945. In the subsequent fighting for Berlin, the battalion supported the infantry, destroying by flamethrower 60 German soldiers, 22 houses, 1 armored personnel carrier and one enemy "DZST" (whatever that is the abbreviation for). Besides which, by machine gun fire, the battalion destroyed about 170 German soldiers and captured 468 officers and men.

I shall correct. Talalaevsky RVK. :rolleyes:

And the given document, the commander 20th Independent Flamethrower Battalion was given the honorifics " Mozir'sky, Order of Kutuzov, Order of Aleksander Nevsky " Major Zaharov already after the ending of Great Domestic War in June, 1945 has signed. :rolleyes:

Edited by SKY MARSHAL

"DZST" (whatever that is the abbreviation for)

It could be DZOT "derevo-zemlyanaya ognevaya tochka", trench with reinforcements made of wood(?). In Swedish they have added shrapnel protection to the translation. Maybe it lost something in translation but I hope I'm close.

/Kim

Edited by kimj

It could be DZOT "derevo-zemlyanaya ognevaya tochka", trench with reinforcements made of wood(?). In Swedish they have added shrapnel protection to the translation. Maybe it lost something in translation but I hope I'm close.

/Kim

All is correct. :beer: I would translate to English?language as "Tree - earthen gun emplacement". :rolleyes:

Translation of 2 parts.

During offensive operations from Oder up to Berlin has shown courage. Safely and resolutely operated at break of defense of the opponent on the western coast of the river Oder, and as in fights for suburb of Berlin, city of Vil'gel'mshtadt. Being all time in fighting orders of a battalion provided interaction with shooting divisions. In fights for city of Vil'gel'mshtadt in the period from April, 29 till May, 2, 1945, division of a battalion, operating, in assault groups, fire of demolition flame throwers have destroyed up to 60 German soldier and officers, gun - machine gun fire have destroyed up to 160 Germans (are available in view of German soldiers) and as have taken prisoner ?76 soldier and officers of the opponent. :rolleyes:

Has signed the document all the same Major Zaharov in May, 7, 1945. :cheers:

Edited by SKY MARSHAL

Thanks SKY MARSHAL,

here is a map of the city of Berlin with Wilhelmstadt in the east of Berlin. Wilhelmstadt is a small passage

through the water north and south. The distance to the city center is ten kilometres.

regards

Andreas

Guest Rick Research

That was submitted for an OPW2 when he was a Captain, commanding a company in the 20th Indep Flamwethrower Btn around Warsaw.

On 9 August 1944 enemy tanks and infantry attacked the 1st battalion of 93rd Rifles Regiment, 76th Rifles Division.

He organized flamethrower, machine gun, and automatic fire which destroyed an enemy tank and 44 enemy infantry. He then called down regimental artillery fire which stopped a second enemy attack. This defense lasted 8 hours and allowed the commander of 93rd Rifles Regiment to organize his reserves on the regiment's right flank to block the enemy.

Cat%20Scratch.gif?Captain Dovbenko in fights with german-fascist aggressors 27.04.1944 south-west of city of Kovel' has shown courage. Being on Control Point company, skilfully supervised over fight.

Company during 9 hours constrained the coming(stepping) opponent and has destroyed fire of demolition flame throwers 3 tanks and up to 80 soldier and officers of the opponent. Except for that company machine gun-automatic fire destroys about 100 hitlerites (german soldier). :violent::jumping:

Under the order of command of company has borrowed(occupied) defense in area Zad'eby, covered a ferry, has not given an opportunity to the opponent to be forwarded on the right coast of the river Tur'ja and to grasp jumping-off place for development of the further approach.

I petition for rewarding comrade Dovbenko by a government award - Order "Red Star". It is signed by?commander 20th Independent Flamethrower Battalion was given the honorifics " Mozir'sky, Order of Kutuzov, Order of Aleksander Nevsky " major Sokolov?in?April,?1944. :rolleyes:

Edited by SKY MARSHAL

Many thanks Sky marshall,

for your work of the translation.

best regards

Andreas

This seems to be the city of Kovel. A town with 75.000 inhabitants 60 km behind the polisch - ukrainien Border. In the Warschaw region.

Has somebody information about the structure / equipment of an Independent Flamethrower Battalion.

Was it fitted with tanks or with hand Flamethrower. Is somewhere an organigram or pictures on the internet?

regards

Andreas