News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major Vladimir Petrovich Dovbenko

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch::speechless1:FLAMETHROWER RECONNAISSANCE !!!!!!!!!!! :speechless1:

Ink on the ARC has blurred, so I'm having trouble with the place name, but this should satisfy Ed:

Vladimir Petrovich Dovbenko

Major

born 1919 in the village of ....., Chernigorsky Raion, Chernigorsky Oblast

Member of CPSU since 1943

Higher Education

Ukrainian

In Red Army from 1940 to 1945

Decorated as Major/Deputy Battalion Staff Commander for operational reconnaissance unit of 20th Independent Flamethrower Battalion (how do flamethrowers SNEAK ????????????)

Currently (9.1.46) unemployed

Red Star 551,096 per 9.5.44, 76th Rifles Division

OPW2 229,102 per 9.9.44, 125th Rifles Division

OPW2 455,973 per 10.6.45, 47th Army

OPW1 223,610 per (22.8.45?), Chief Council (Soviet) of Occupation Forces in Germany

Cadet at Volosk Miliatry School of Chemical Defense February 1940 to September 1941

Commander of Chemical service, 16th Independent Reserve Battalion of Signals in 30th Reserve Rifles Brigade September 1941 to February 1942

Deputy Commander for Reconnaissance on Staff of 342nd Independent Signals Btn, 48th Army February 1942 to February 1944 (quite a career shift !!!!)

Deputy Commander for Reconnaissance on Staff of 20th Independent Flamethrower Battalion, 1st White Russian Front February 1944 to August 1945

August to December 1945 on reserves, Chemical Administration of... (under the stamp)

Discharged 30 November 1945.

YIKES. Talk about LUCK to have survived !!!!! PENAL units probably had better odds !!!! :speechless1:

Many thanks Rick,

and the rest of the citations are much better. Most of his awards he got at the Oder River. His unit took

many many prisoners and his unit defeat the whole Wehrmacht alone.

He was proposed for a second first class OGPW, but it was downgraded in chain of command to a second class. :(

I ?ll post the rest of the documents in the next days.

Yes 22.08.45 is right.

OGPW 1class 223.610 per 22.8.45, Chief Council (Soviet) of Occupation Forces in Germany

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Thanks guys for the help.

I have another group with Red Star, Bravery medal, Praque medal to an artillery Sergeant. But I will send this first to Paul for translation before I post it here.

Here is the reverse page of the personel file

Edited by Alfred

and the second part. Sadly also on the original the last figure of his promotion dates are missing.

But he had quite a carrer. From 1940 to 1945 in the army and he got promoted to a major.

Guest Rick Research

Aha!

Full date of birth 23 March 1919. He spoke German and Russian (since these are under "foreign" languages :rolleyes: he must have been a native Ukrainian speaker), and was of white collar social background, formerly peasant. CPSU member number 5,352,187 in 1943.

Higher education, graduating from the Fitel'sky Institute's history faculty in the city of Chernigov in 1940.

On the Bryansk Front from February 1942 to July 1943

Central Front July 1943 to February 1944

1st White Russian Front February 1944 to May 1945.

Never wounded!!!

His promotions can be deduced from whose decrees authorized them and his service record, so

Lieutenant 10.9.4(2)

Senior Lieutenant 15.8.4(2) per Bryansk Front

Captain 13.1.4(5) per White Russian Front

Major 14.4.4(5) per 1st White Russian Front

He was certified as "healthy" when he was discharged.

The service record ADDS a Liberation of Warsaw Medal entitlement not shown on his ARC.

Line 19 on the last page scan is, I think, hius civilian job in 1948, but I am just not getting it.

BTW, does anybody else think Dovbenko looks like the actor from the TV series "The Highlander?" (? Adrian Paul... something like that-- haven't seen it in years)

:cheers:

Aha!

Full date of birth 23 March 1919. He spoke German and Russian (since these are under "foreign" languages :rolleyes: he must have been a native Ukrainian speaker), and was of white collar social background, formerly peasant. CPSU member number 5,352,187 in 1943.

Higher education, graduating from the Fitel'sky Institute's history faculty in the city of Chernigov in 1940.

On the Bryansk Front from February 1942 to July 1943

Central Front July 1943 to February 1944

1st White Russian Front February 1944 to May 1945.

Never wounded!!!

His promotions can be deduced from whose decrees authorized them and his service record, so

Lieutenant 10.9.4(2)

Senior Lieutenant 15.8.4(2) per Bryansk Front

Captain 13.1.4(5) per White Russian Front

Major 14.4.4(5) per 1st White Russian Front

He was certified as "healthy" when he was discharged.

The service record ADDS a Liberation of Warsaw Medal entitlement not shown on his ARC.

Line 19 on the last page scan is, I think, hius civilian job in 1948, but I am just not getting it.

BTW, does anybody else think Dovbenko looks like the actor from the TV series "The Highlander?" (? Adrian Paul... something like that-- haven't seen it in years)

:cheers:

Excuse me, again you I shall correct. Teacher's institute?(Pedagogical institute) historical faculty, and in Russian language Учительский институт (Педагогический институт) исторический факультет. :beer:

Edited by SKY MARSHAL

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhh, messy starting letter fooled me-- I thought it was a NAME and not the TYPE of Institute. :cheers:

My cousin volunteered for active duty in Vietnam rather than teach high school English any more-- I am sure there are a LOT of school teachers even today who wish they could transfer into flamethrower units.... :cheeky:

Ahhhh, messy starting letter fooled me-- I thought it was a NAME and not the TYPE of Institute. :cheers:

My cousin volunteered for active duty in Vietnam rather than teach high school English any more-- I am sure there are a LOT of school teachers even today who wish they could transfer into flamethrower units.... :cheeky:

It is very a pity, that I very badly know the English language. Earlier in the beginning of 90 years, badly taught the English language at schools, it is necessary to use the electronic translator and not always it gives out correct translation :( , it is necessary to apply the saved up particles of knowledge :cheers: .