News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

"Ovation for the Award" for his Blue Max by his ground crew-- a private photo that unless I am mistaken has NEVER been published before. :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Such things are real treasures-- these days-- they usually COST as much, too! :speechless1: Congratulations on a very lucky and significant find! I can't remember the last time I heard of a NEW, previously unknown "Blue Max Party" photo being found. :cheers:

I've tweaked the sepia into black-and-white:

I like the way that "X" has continued to note Udet's mounting score on the back of the photo-- for him this wasn't history, it was his Everyday Boss!

Rick, is there any way to tell the exact date when the picture was taken? As far as I know Udet was flying on Jasta 37 from 14 Aug 1917 to 9 Mar 1918. Are you able to decipher back of the picture? Who stands next to Udet with the EKI and pilot's badge ?

Regards,

Marcin

This picture was taken on the periode from 20 May 1918 to the late June 1918. The aircraft (Fokker Dr.I 586/17) originally belonged to Leutnant Hans Kirschstein (27 victories) and was later used by Udet.

67c2359109e7.jpg

To my mind the man with cigarette was Ltn. Viktor von Pressentin gen. von Rautter (KIA on May 31, 1918) who was early served 3. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment. Another man dressed on white was Lt. d. R. Heinrich Dreckmann (I`m not sure).

OMG I am so blind :speechless: . Description clearly states: "14/6" Lt Udet... and then "28+29"... According to this website, "28+29" means two victories:

28: 07 Jun 1918, Jasta 4 SPAD (opponent), which took place in this location: E(ast) of Villers-Cotter?ts

29: 13 Jun 1918, Jasta 4 SPAD (opponent), which took place in this location: N(orth)W(est) of Faverolles

So we have 14th June 1918 (he had one more victory that day). Great. :jumping:

Igor, thank you very much for your comment and pictures, really - good job.

Regards!

ps. What is the "SPAD" ?

Edited by Marcin L

SPAD = Soci?t? Pour L'Aviation et ses D?riv?s. A GREAT WWI fighter, high speed and dive ability. Not as manuverable, I think it was outclassed by the Foker D.VII--I'm not sure how it preformed against the Camel or the DRI triplane.

A Photo from the web

• 4 months later...