News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Only a Sad & Empty Trifold

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Our usual source had a small pile of these at last Sunday's show. I see from Bodrogi, Molnar, and Zeidler that there were NUMEROUS Hungarian awards (#s 584, 585, 586, 692, 700, 714) using this ribbon, but none of them seem to be a close match to this sort of "lime" green and very very dark "wine" red:

This is also a lighter, "silkier" weave than the usual thick, heavy ribbons I've seen on other Hungarian awards.

The color is quite accurate in this scan--is there anything to indicate WHICH award might once have been hanging from this?

That ribbon is about as generica as they come. They were used on firemans medals of WW2 era, sport medals, patriotic things of 1948, teachers medals of 1953 (not in that book), trade union medals, etc.... My observations on this would place production around 1940 to mid 1950's. Ribbon wire is 'wire', steel gromet, and the better quality silk all indicate a product from this era.

Guest Rick Research

Thanks! He must have had half a dozen of them, all the same. I thought from that it might have been one of the purged/recalled designs sort of awards that people turned in for a new version. I've always been a packrat, and the Packrat Motto is

You Never Know When You Might Need (Fill In The Blank).