News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare Mauser C96

Douglas Jr.

Hi folks,

I?m back with a interesting addition that I made some months ago. It seems that not many people enjoy the odd-looking but very interesting Mauser C-96 around here (just kidding!) but I?d like to share this one with you all, even though it was a non-military gun. So here we go?

IPB Image

This is a rare Commercial Mauser C-96 chambered to fired the seldom seen 9mm Mauser Export cartridge. According to Breathed & Schroeder?s book ?System Mauser? (pages 118-119 and 122-123) very few were made, mostly being around the serial range 80.000-90.000 and, later, around the 170.000 range.

IPB Image

The gun that I show now is in the latter batch. Pay attention to the rarely seen (and beautiful) black hard rubber grips with the Mauser monogram. I must to confess that it was the main reason to get this one ? crazy, isn?t it? Believe me: the photos do not make justice to this piece...

IPB Image

IPB Image

The magazine follower in all 9mm Mauser Export pistols has a short indentation milled into its upper surface, to facilitate feeding the straight-cased cartridge. Other typical characteristic of the pistols chambered for this ammo (the latter batch, around the 170.000 serial number) is the difference in the shape of the chamber area, on which the flats are brought a further forward than on any other model except the carbines. This was apparently an effort to strengthen the chamber for the long and powerful 9mm Mauser Export.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This ammo ? which I don?t have an example up to now ? is one of the most powerful 9mm ever made. Here is some information about this incredible ammunition (which makes me wonder why it is not produced nowadays):

Round length ? 35,00 mm (1.378in)

Case length ? 25,00mm (0.981in)

Bullet weight ? 127 gr (8,23g)

Muzzle velocity ? 1,362 ft/sec (415m/s)

Muzzle energy ? 523 ft/lb (707J)

Hope you enjoy it.

Douglas.

IPB Image

IPB Image

hi joe and byf,

Thanks for your kind comments! :cheers:

Concerning the ammo it is not the 9mm Luger (or 9mm Parabellum). It is a completely different ammo (hence the gun?s rarity) called 9mm Mauser Export. Below I put a picture of the latter (on right) when compared with the 9mm Luger (on left).

As I said, it was a nice and powerful amunition. But it very scarce today. :unsure:

All the best,

Douglas.

You never cease to amaze me! That is an AWESOME pistol!!! Thank you for sharing it with me...

BTW do you know the maximum effective range of this "super charged" round? I bet it would feel like you were firing a .45!

Best regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck