News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just picked this up at the OVMS show in Wilmington, Ohio. 2nd type. Marked 938 and FR on bottom lower arm. The ring has and old repair. Would anyone know the award numbers for the Crown Order in all its grades?

Cheers, Ed

Guest Rick Research

The late Eric Ludvigsen did a statistical study of all Prussian decorations, with annual numbers awarded.

The last published figures ended in January 1913, by which point 8,974 of this 2nd model 2nd Class had been awarded. But most of those were probably the gold ones and not the later years' silver gilt like this one. Not sure exactly when that change occurred. Probably about 2,000 of these.

Guest Rick Research

Yes, about 350-400 a year seems to have been average for these up to 1913. :cheers:

I have no idea what the substance is that was used to hold these Orders toggether, but any Order I've ever seen that fell apart has exactly thye same pertrified Mystery Substance in it.

However you repair it, don't use anything quote-unquote "permanent."

A friend of mine happen to has a similar piece with the loose medalions and all. It must be common with the 4th class. Bad design, too thin. Any pressure on the arms will transfer the force to the hollow center which in turns forces each end of the medalions to move apart. I'll most likely use a little elmers to tack it together. On the 2nd class the medalions are secure but both the crown and the cypher "float" and can rotate a little. Also the 4th class has no maker.

Thanks again. :cheers: ~Ed

some type of bone glue?

Ed,

It might be some sort of wax from the look of it.

On the French Legion of Honor, which is of similar construction, the centers are held by wax since the origin. One of the side effects of this substance is that as it ages and dries, it tends to shrink, and very often you may find that the centers have been "pulled in". I'd probably use some sort of blue-tack to repair it.

Marc