News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting 1870 EK1

I am sure if you check the size of this cross, you will find that it is almost TR sized.

This one matches the 2nd class version I have posted here on a couple of different occasions.

I had Detlav take a look at mine and he said he had "no problem with the wide frame" and he thought

that it dated to "post 1900". I read this as saying it is a good Jubilee cross.

I have seen only 2 others like this posted here or at WAF. This is the first 1st class I have seen.

Here is my 2nd class.

Clearly a custom-made piece... but when was it custom made?

The reverse does not seem to dis-similar to my EK1 from 1914-18

The shape of the pin on the 1870 EK would suggest, in my opinion pre 1914 at least

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is one of this type pictured in "Iron Time" but I don't have the book on hand. It is a known type that has been regarded as "period," and sold as such by Detlev Niemann and others. Depends on what you consider a "period" example. That could be 1880, 1890, 1900, or....? My guess is they are 19th century, as the pin assemblies by 1914 had become more sophisticated than this.

Tim

This piece was owned by someone in NY State who listed it on eBay Germany. I did watch the sale but opted not to bid. My thoughts were it was probably pre-1900 and assumed it would fetch a higher price than I was willing to go. In the end, it closed under 300- Euro which I think speaks volumes for what the German buyers thought of it. If it was real, someone walked away with quite a prize for a very small price.