News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Sachsen Bar with St. Heinrich medal

Gentlemen, Stogiemann...

I?m been interested in a Sachsen bar with St. Heinrich medal...I?ve just find one, but the medals look a little shabby, as if not were silver...I?m in the moment to bid...but ...I have some strange feeling. Please send me your opinions...The matter could be resolved in question of minutes... :jumping:

Thanks a lot. This is a little of abuse, I know... :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Miguel

Hi,

I'm still learning here but nevertheless, my opinion is that the whole bar is not visually appealing (it is ugly), and looks like it has not been taken care of. It also looks like someone has installed a makeshift pin on the reverse. The red backing looks "messed" with to me, especially at the bottom. I would hold out for a more aesthetically pleasing example...but that is me. ;)

Edited by A Collector

Hi,

I'm still learning here but nevertheless, my opinion is that the whole bar is not visually appealing (it is ugly), and looks like it has not been taken care of. It also looks like someone has installed a makeshift pin on the reverse. The red backing looks "messed" with to me, especially at the bottom. I would hold out for a more aesthetically pleasing example...but that is me. ;)

Thanks, that?s the problem...I?ve see anothers within a group a lot more attractive...or appealing...the trouble is that there are not a lot of them swirling around...and this has a convenient price...but I dont love it... :(

Thanks Again

Miguel

Thanks, that?s the problem...I?ve see anothers within a group a lot more attractive...or appealing...the trouble is that there are not a lot of them swirling around...and this has a convenient price...but I dont love it... :(

Thanks Again

Miguel

Miguel,

I have learned to NOT buy in the heat of the moment. When we see something that has a clock or very limited time, we tend to not be able to think logically or clearly. If I were you, I would pass, after the sale is over you will probably be glad. A long time ago, I bought a few "must" haves just because it was at auction and I thougt it was the "only one" out there, I regretted it afterwards and sold the piece within a few months at a loss. :(

I just think this bar would be a hard one to move if you wanted to sell, and maybe you would take a loss as well...if you don't love it now, chances are very good that you will not love it once it arrives.

Edited by A Collector

Miguel,

I have learned to NOT buy in the hat of the moment. When we see something that has a clock or very limited time, we tend to not be able to think logically or clearly. If I were you, I would pass, after the sale is over you will probably be glad. A long time ago, I bought a few "must" haves just because it was at auction and I thougt it was the "only one" out there, I regretted it afterwards and sold the piece within a few months at a loss. :(

I just think this bar would be a hard one to move if you wanted to sell, and maybe you would take a loss as well...

Probably you have the reason...the "must have" of today will be the "must sell" of tomorrow...

The problem is that some days ago I?ve lost an auction with a perfect St. Heirich in the nick of time...so the thing is burning slowly undersurface...

Regards

Miguel

Probably you have the reason...the "must have" of today will be the "must sell" of tomorrow...

The problem is that some days ago I?ve lost an auction with a perfect St. Heirich in the nick of time...so the thing is burning slowly undersurface...

Regards

Miguel

Hi Miguel

That St. Henry is a bit scarieeee :o . As I recall a few weeks ago Liverpool had one in a group with the signature "F.U." looked to be a nice Saxon group but I'm no expert. I'll try later to scan you an official piece to compare & it came from Liverpool.

Sincerely

Yankee

Regards

Miguel

I have been there and know what you mean, but settling for second best always leaves an empty feeling... :mad::( .

Yes, it was sarcasm. Why would you buy a piece that you will not be happy with in the long run? Cheap is nice, but cheap will never appeal to you over time. My advice would be to spend lots of money on one piece. Not lots of pieces for the same money.

So, you buy it. It's not an issue piece. Someday you will want to upgrade and get a better piece. Then you're stuck trying to get rid of something you really didn't want to begin with. Probably, no one else will want it either. So why buy it in the first place?

Yes, it was sarcasm. Why would you buy a piece that you will not be happy with in the long run? Cheap is nice, but cheap will never appeal to you over time. My advice would be to spend lots of money on one piece. Not lots of pieces for the same money.

So, you buy it. It's not an issue piece. Someday you will want to upgrade and get a better piece. Then you're stuck trying to get rid of something you really didn't want to begin with. Probably, no one else will want it either. So why buy it in the first place?

Hi,

Very well said and sound advice for all collectors.

Regards,

Sam

Edited by sambolini

Guest Rick Research

But FRIENDLY sarcasm. :beer:

I often argue with my Evil Twin over how "pretty" medal bars are when considering buying them. ( :unsure: His ideas of "beauty" are generally far lower than mine, but to each his own :rolleyes: ) because that is MY Big Hangup.

If a ratty, dirty, worn, tired, damaged bar can be identified to ONE person, than I adjust my standards, because I would rather have an IDENTIFIED group than a LOVELY one.

But really-- parade dress medal bars were ONLY worn in full dress at parades and such formal occasions for what-- several hours, at most, in any year?

So they should be in immaculate, pristine, perfectly preserved condition. It breaks my heart when they are NOT. :(

Medal bars were not worn on dirty field uniforms. They would never have been worn all dirty and ratty on a parade.

So His Evilness's points about buying only what you will :love::love::love: forever is a VERY good point. You're unhappy with this medal bar even before you actually HAVE bought it-- which is your subconscious talking you out of it.

Do not buy for "investment," or in HOPES of Someday Getting A Better XYZ. ONLY buy what you will never want to part with...

and you will have a collection that you will still enjoy 40 years from now.

It's worked as a philosophy for me.

Guest Rick Research

"Pretty" medal bar:

Condition cannot be improved upon, and this is a DOUBLE Winner since I also have all his awards, all his award documents, and this is thus not ONLY Pretty, but also Identified.

"Ugly" medal bar:

Ugly, ugly, uggggggggly. Yet--as you can see--with ribbon bars, lapel bow, miniatures chain AND... it came with the award documents. A complete as complete can ever be set, stright from the widow, of a Petty Officer who was at the battle of Jutland.

And I sold it because... it was "ugly." :speechless:

Aaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. FOOL! :banger: IDIOT! :banger: What was I thinking??????? :banger:

(It is always better Not To Buy something than to Sell Something And THEN Regret It.)

Thanks lads, really you make me feel better fot don?t buy it. ?. anyway, need a push sometimes... ;)

reagards ... and if you comes to Valencia sometime (one never can say where one can ends )...I?ll pay you three to four rounds of Beer :beer:

Miguel

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

It is very difficult to say, from the awful scans, but I think the second award was a Baden Order of the Z?hringen Lion. Its GREEN AND ORANGE ribbon appears to have faded out so much somebody thought it was PALE BLIUE AND YELLOW and slipped in a St Henry Medal.

I don't know if I agree on that fade thought.... a close look at the back and it sure looks like regular SH ribbon. Of course that simply raises all sorts of additional questions (apart from the ones I already had) about the fact that NO Saxon would have mounted this bar like this pre or post 1934.... I'd take a great big pass on this one....