News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris is nearer. It's to do with his age.

Note that the Soldbuch was issued in January 1945. It is a new book, not a replacement or continuation book, but the guy already has the Marine Artillery Badge awarded in September 1944 - yet he doesn't join the Navy until he is 18, in 1945.

The only way I can see that he could have already been awarded the Marine Artillery badge at the tender age of 17, and before actually joining the navy, was that he was in the HJ, and served as a Marinehelfer on a Flak Gun crew.

The thing then would be that in 1942 he was only 16. I know that in the closing stages of the war, very young guys were being drafted, but in 1942, no way a 16 year old would be in the navy - just wasn't allowed. However, as a Marinehelfer serving with a naval flak unit, he may well have had some sort of Erkennungsmarke with a 1942 date. Not sure what kind of ID discs these guys would have been given. I'm guessing that wearing a navy uniform and under navy command, a Marinehelfer would have been issued a naval type Erkennungsmarke so it all fits.