News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have just bought this set of "Fat Commanders" , 8x60. (blc).

They have been in private ownership since 1947 , my buying them is the first sale of the set since then.

The paint finish black over the pea green is a long standing finish and I am sure it dates from service use.

Benutzer is missing , I would be delighted I anyone can help me replace it - this is something I want to get done.

Optically they are good, as I intend to use them I am going to have them cleaned - light cleaning of the prisms will bring them up perfectly.

Two of the filters are present which came as a great surprise to me.

My father acquired at set rom a boat at Lisahally sold a set of these in later that year (45) to an American officer for ?40 , I must admit these cost a little more but I am well pleased with them.

The set number is 50090

[attachmentid=12764]

Edited by james Stewart

Are they KM marked?

Bob- these sets did not carry the full Kgm mark of the eagle over M, just the three letter makers code and the glass number. ( Se attached jpeg).

I have just had a mail from Hans Seeger who thinks that the black may not be a war time application , good news is its wearing off . ;)

[attachmentid=12782]

A nifty pair of binoculars that will only get better when you clean the optics. :D

Some people would not clean these , it would change them and alter what they are.

Bottom line is sooner or later if they are left long enough they will degrade completly and be just a useless hunk of metal.

Perhaps not in my lifetime , but if they are to be used why not have them doing what they were made to do and to a standrad which would be acceptable back in 43-45.

Yes looking foraerd to being able to use them.

I have two sets of blc's which are uncleaned - no internal problems bright , and perfect.

They have never been "openned" in one set the desicator cells are still working perfectly.

I guess its luck of the draw - depends on what way they have been looked after and in what enviroment they have been kept.

Dougie Biggart ( Glasgow Binocular Repairs) told me about a set of 8x60 leitz that he sees every year for cleaning , in they come in fogged up.

I know of one major collector who has a room full of rare binoculars - he never uses them and rarely even picks them up. None are ever cleaned to be used , he would never consider using any of them .

The sets range from mint conditioned examples to sets which are really only up to be considered for spare parts, each totheir own but reducing them to ornaments to be ignored to me just does not seem right.

We are the owners of items for our generation only - we must accept some duty of care for items which are of historical interest.

My "2d" for what its worth.

Attached an untouched km marked set .

[attachmentid=12845]

Edited by james Stewart

View into the prism housing.

The two glass prisms are held in a "cage" which secured to the body of the binocular.

When taken out to be cleaned they were both badly marked by gassed out lubricant which would in time degrade the optical surfaces.

Cleaned with acetone and then with an optical cleaning fluid they came up 100%.

All the major component parts are matched numbers.

The change from black to green can clearly be seen .

[attachmentid=13359]

View into the prism housing.

The two glass prisms are held in a "cage" which secured to the body of the binocular.

When taken out to be cleaned they were both badly marked by gassed out lubricant which would in time degrade the optical surfaces.

Cleaned with acetone and then with an optical cleaning fluid they came up 100%.

All the major component parts are matched numbers.

The change from black to green can clearly be seen .

A rubber gasket provides a 100% water proof seal against the elements.

[attachmentid=13359]

• 1 year later...

better foto

Gunther - some nice stuff there , UZO and a fat girl ! ;)

The UZO - looks great - I have examples of the oter sets you have - apart from the leitz - I sold two of them over the past few years and now wish I had kept one. :speechless:

The two 7x50 Ubglas look to be in good order , Hans Seeger - a very good man :beer:

thanks for the look Gunther

Brett,

Thanks for the shout on the Benutrzer.

There are two gents one UK based, theother USA based who are selling reproduction Benutzers.

Prices ?120 UK and ?157 for USA products.

All in all expensive for a reproduction.

Having said that a period replacement will sting at about ?200 , which is insane but that is what is being asked for them .

Thanks again Brett.

james S.

JS,

I know your post is about a year old, but if you are still looking for the benutzer for your 8x60, there is a guy on ebay selling some now. Repros and mega expensive but might be worth you having a look.

Cheers,

Brett