News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is another pic, from 1919 and showing some flyer that survived the war

again some unreadable handwritning on the back, could anyone read the name of the Unteroffizer?

3 of them still in uniform Oct 1919 ?

First the happy boys !

Christer

Guest Rick Research

"Hardi Raetzle" ???

Yes-- the two on right are wearing the "string bean" shoulder cords of the 1919-20 Provisional Reichsheer.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still not happy with any interpretation of the spelling of Hardi's last name, unless we accept that someone would write his first name in Suetterlin and his last name in modern script. However, I may be wrong. At some time (1915?) the Prussian Army postal regulations insisted that addresses on Feldpost were to be written in modern script, and from that time generally in Suetterlin texts on post cards, Feldpost, usw. had place names written in modern script in a sea of Suetterlin. But did that transfer to last names, while keeping first names written in Suetterlin? But, of course, in the Army the last name was the name.

If one tries to lean closer to Suetterlin I might suggest "Raetzlr", although it seems odd. "Raetzl" could be one of those characteristic odd (to me) South German/Austrian names. (Strange people, those South Germans!)

If someone did not catch it, the place and date for the photo was Weimar, October 27, 1919.

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob,

it is interesting, when foreigners try to transliterate the "old" German handwriting ;) .

Particulary with regard to the problems old and young Germans have, to read and understand it :D .

First, what we see in that time is in the majority of cases Kurrent, and not S?tterlin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurrent

http://www.kurrent.de/_html/kurse.htm

Second, when you transliterate it in your way "Raetzlr" or "Raetzl", you must better and correct write "Raltzlr" or "Raltzl".

And that is not German and not South German. But it could be "Marsanian" :rolleyes:

No, it is "Raetzer":

http://www.google.de/search?q=%22Raetzer%2...lient=firefox-a

And please, realise, that several people, as well as I, change their handwriting in a longer text, from correct handwriting to writing in block letters, without joining the letters together; alternately.

And the signature is for a German normally his family name, not the complete name, see e.g. the signatures on award documents.

"... accept that someone would write his first name in Suetterlin [Kurrent = Deutsche Schrift] and his last name in modern script [lateinische Schrift]."

Regards

Uwe

Guest Rick Research

I learned to write in the old German script before I did in English and I always say: a scribble is a scribble now matter HOW it's written! :cheeky: