News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

how to really know worth

beachmom

I recently got two helmets. One German M40, and one French something. IT has some kind of crest on the top made of metal but redish/brown color. In trying to find a value, I get quotes but if they are from someone who wants to buy them how do you know if the price is really fair?

Also, before I sell them I would want to make sure they are the real deal. My relative had them for decades, but I don't know where they came from.

Then again, I have pause to sell them because I think of the young men who bravely wore them so long ago.

Cookie

Edited by beachmom

I recently got two helmets. One German M40, and one French something. IT has some kind of crest on the top made of metal but redish/brown color. In trying to find a value, I get quotes but if they are from someone who wants to buy them how do you know if the price is really fair?

Also, before I sell them I would want to make sure they are the real deal. My relative had them for decades, but I don't know where they came from.

Then again, I have pause to sell them because I think of the young men who bravely wore them so long ago.

Cookie

Cookie,

Some pictures would go a long way in helping determine genuineness and value :rolleyes:

Marc

In the meantime while you are getting your photos ready I would suggest you search the web. There are dealers who list such items for sale and that would give you at least market value. Check several sites and take the average as the first one may want a very high price and that would not reflect the true market value. You might even try eBay but remember that some days the closing bid is a buyers dream and the next a nightmare. :lol:

While I appreciate your comment about the brave young men who wore the helmets keep in mind this has no bearing on value if you are intending to sell these items.

Good luck with the photos and your sale.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

you could use imageshack for showing the pictures (upload them there and use the URL here)

the value is of course determined by the kind of troops that used it(you can often see it by the emblem on the front) and condition of the helmet.

as already suggested, you can compare the helmet in value with similar ones on the internet, but of course the gents here are always willing to help.

kind regards,

Roeland

Thanks so much for all the guidance. I sent a pic of the helmet but we will see if it comes through. There is no liner in it, just a band and tiny bits of the chin strap. I just purchased several German items, and of course now comes the task of finding what I want to keep and what is to go.

Thanks again to all you so much.

Regards

Cookie

you could use imageshack for showing the pictures (upload them there and use the URL here)

the value is of course determined by the kind of troops that used it(you can often see it by the emblem on the front) and condition of the helmet.

as already suggested, you can compare the helmet in value with similar ones on the internet, but of course the gents here are always willing to help.

kind regards,

Roeland

here is the other one:

otherhelmet003jb0.th.jpg

Thank you so much

kind regards,

Roeland

• 3 weeks later...

One sees M40s like this from time to time, without the liners and with just the ends of the chinstraps in place. This usually suggests a helmet removed from a rotting corpse, the chinstraps being cut by the burial detail because they were trapped in the swollen flesh and skin, covering the buckle. The liners were then ripped out by souvenir hunters because of the smell. I've had a few otherwise near-mint examples. One example was given to me my a farmer who remembered his mother telling him to get rid of the helmet because the liner stank. So he ripped the liner out, leaving just the band in place. The helmet was as-new. Still is as-new. I'd be inclined to believe that yours came from Normandy, where a lot of reserve units with nice, new kit, hardly used during their occupation duties, found themselves confronted by Allied forces.

PK

Edited by PKeating