News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What questions to ask?

Starting early next week, I'll be in Mongolia for several weeks. I shall, of course, be meeting up with Battushig and others. Item #1 on my agenda to explore will be the question of research, conjoined with the question of movement toward a 2nd edition of Bat's book. What other questions need to be raised? What gnaws at you and tweaks your curiosity?

Please add these here.

Guest Rick Research

1) What ARE there indeed Rolls for? What are there no surviving records for? For ordinary numbered medals like the Victory Over Japan and 1946/1961 Republic Jubilee, are there lists of names by the numbers-- I woudn't expect much/anything else.

2) Will someone there be able to translate Mongolian citations into a language that the rest of us CAN read-- Russian or English?

3) Is the Soviet system what was used, with separately filed Awards Record Cards, Citations, and personnel records?

4) Who will we be able to pay for research copies, how, and with what sort of turn around? (i.e. is this going to be Approved & Sanctioned or :unsure: like Soviet research?)

5) Will the 2nd edition include information on approximate numbers of each variation of award? You guys have done such through work in trying to determine numbers that this should be included in the New & Improved Edition. :cheers:

Thanks, Rick, I think (think?) I know the answers to at least some of these, but let me ask directly and answer coherently. If others could continue Rick's numbering, this would help me (and Bat). I'll have internet for a bit in UB, but after the first few days I cannot guarantee.

I'll think of more, but at top of my head additions to the key research q's:

6) Where are those 50 USD a piece SB screwbacks? :cheers:

7) What's the story behind the early Polar Stars (type 1 and uighur's) - were they indeed to be handed in for a newer type (hence botched up numberfing and very few type 1's despite sonnenberg's guide having one in 800+ range)

8) 3 types of soyombo hero of labour?

9) Is the 25 years mongolian revolution for foreigners real?

10) Are there names to match the deputy badges?

11) Idem for medal for unselfishness?