Thanks for the kind comment, amazingly the case is in fine shape after nearly a century. Now I need to find one from the Navy branch, :beer: curious to see how they were dedicated on the reverse. ` As a rule the infantry regiments were inscribed on the reverse center with a silver-gilt disc?

Sincerely

Brian

Close up of the dedication.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hi Kev

That is a :speechless1: surprise to see a silver merit cross inscribed to the Air Force. Your piece dates from 1915-18 prior to the LUFTFAHRTRUPEN the service was called LUFTSCHIFFERABTEILUNG which came into existence in 1912. Yours is a wonderful example of superb workmanship :cheers: I will put up a larger scan later this evening. Perhaps we can start a :D thread of only inscribed Orders, Medals & Decorations, this fascinating area of the hobby would certainly warrant such a dedicated thread.

Sincerely

Yankee

Long ago and two HD crashes (with subsequent loss of many images) I had two of these private-purchase dedication pieces. One was a long service cross to an officer in a regular army unit the other was an MVK in a dedication case but nothing on the cross itself.... I have always found these A-H private pieces to be fascinating as well of superior quality.

Thanks for showing two very rare pieces in one thread!!

Long ago and two HD crashes (with subsequent loss of many images) I had two of these private-purchase dedication pieces. One was a long service cross to an officer in a regular army unit the other was an MVK in a dedication case but nothing on the cross itself.... I have always found these A-H private pieces to be fascinating as well of superior quality.

Thanks for showing two very rare pieces in one thread!!

Hi Stogieman

Pity your pictures are lost forever, each inscribed piece is most unique. There is a book on the long service decoration from 1849-1989 by Jorg Steiner unfortunately it is out of print. I agree the quality is most superb & the gold and silver -gilt ones are considerably more heavy then the standard issue gilded bronze pieces. Possible with the right research you can figure out who the recipient was. I think they are scarce, have not seen too many unless they are more plentiful in Europe.

Sincerely

Yankee

• 1 month later...

An interesting example of one given in time of peace

Would these medals be customer order from the manufacturer by the owner or special friends or special presentation from a unit commander? The reverse is non standard so it's a special version but were these made for the army or for private perchase?

Would these medals be customer order from the manufacturer by the owner or special friends or special presentation from a unit commander? The reverse is non standard so it's a special version but were these made for the army or for private perchase?

Hi Charles

Mostly private purchase given by their comrades. There might be examples of the owner placing the dedication himself but that can be difficult to tell. There are some known MVK's in precious stones given out by the Emperor himself.